Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to form .204 cases to .222 Rem Mag? Is it as easy as running a .204 case in a .222 Rem Mag full lenth sizer? Am I better off just to buy Remington brass and sort out the bad ones? I know a lot of people don't like Rem brass, but all I'm really shooting for is a good hog/fox gun out to 200 yds. Phil

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have been using Winchester 204 Ruger brass ...

for my 6x47mm (6-222RM) and yes it is as simple as running it into a FL die and then fireforming. Except with the 6x47mm I have to do it in two steps. I have found the 204 Ruger brass has a more uniform neck thickness. One thing to keep in mind though is the 204 Ruger brass has a thicker web and I have found it holds 3 tenths of a grain less water capacity than the 222 Rem. Mag brass and the case length will be slightly shorter than the 222RM brass. I have been thinking about trying a box of Nosler's 204 Ruger brass and see what kind of Match 222 Rem. Mag. brass it will make for my 40x in 222 RM. I bet it would be some good stuff.

Rodney

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
I've never had a problem w/ Remington 222 RM brass......

I have a 222 Rem Mag built on a Rem 700 action and all I have ever shot in the rifle is 222 RM Remington made brass bought from Midway.

The rifle is extremely accurate for extended PD shooting, and the brass has never been an issue at all for me.

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Fox Gun

In my mind a better choice for a fox gun would be one of the small 17's/20's. In 22 caliber much better choices would be the Fireball and the regular 222 down loaded.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I bought my .222 mag. abt. 25 yrs. ago and have used Rem. brass in it with no problmes. It`s not near as accurate as it used to be, but it had several 1,000 rounds through it. I`ve used the .222 mag. brass to form .204 brass with and no trouble with it eather. You will have to be shooting groups that are sub 1/2 befor you will be able to a difference in the quality of the brass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.