Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of buying expensive form dies, does anyone out there have a procedure for forming Zipper cases from 30-30 brass?

TIA,
Vardoc

·
Registered
423 Posts
can't those be made from

.225 Winchester brass?? but then,i don't know if THAT brass is available either!!
MANY years ago i had a .219 Improved Zipper...wish i still had that rascal!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is an exerpt from an article on the Zipper...

I wrote an article on the 219 Zipper several years ago and included how I made 219 brass from 30-30. Here it is....

Glenn

The cases were very lightly lubed and run into a 32-40 Winchester sizing die. This slimmed down the shoulder, and left the neck at .30 caliber. Then the brass was sized again using a 25-35 Winchester die which added the bottleneck and reduced the neck to .25 caliber. The final sizing utilized a 219 Zipper full-length sizing die and produced a 219 Zipper case with an elongated neck. This sizing operation took a little extra time because of the amount of brass that had to be reshaped. First the case was sized about the length of the neck. The case was removed from the die and the ring of lube that had formed at the base of the neck was wiped away to prevent wrinkles in the shoulder during the full-length sizing. Then the case was run back in the die and full-length sized. Finally the excessive neck length was removed and the cases were trimmed to length. The 30-30 cases had been worked pretty heavily and the brass in the neck had thickened, so neck-turning would be required. After turning the necks the flash holes were de-burred and the necks chamfered, both inside and out. The brass was full-length sized again, this time with the shell holder pressing against the bottom of the sizing die, which gives a slight “cam” effect when the shell holder touches the bottom of the die.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I used to make 219 Donaldson Wasp from fired 30-30

I promised myself if I ever had to do it (or 219 Zipper) again I would start with new 25-35 brass and save a couple of steps.

Bruce

·
Registered
365 Posts
A set of .25-35 dies will do it for ya. But start by running the brass through the seater die. It is slightly larger than the sizer, and serves as an intermediate form die.

After you have made a pass through each of the .25-35 dies, start again with the .219 Zipper seater die. Finish up with the .219 sizer, ream or turn and trim as required.

As mentioned above, be wary of the lube ring buildup, or it will collapse case shoulders.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen, thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buy'em from Eben Brown...

...depending on how much you intend to use the Zipper this might be the easiest and cheapest.
From his website:
"219 and 6mm Donaldson Wasp Brass $45/100 - Originally derived from .219 Zipper, the .219 Donaldson Wasp was developed by Harvey Donaldson. It is often credited with being the "Godfather of Bench Rest Cartridges" because the case capacity and 30 degree shoulder have been carried over to the modern "BR" cartridges. Our brass is formed in four steps from brand new Remington 30-30 cases and then cut to length. This brass can also be formed into 6mm Wasp by full length sizing in a 6mm Wasp sizing die.
ORDER 127-219 .219 Donaldson Wasp Brass(100) $45
ORDER 722-80403 Redding .219 Don Wasp Reloading Dies $70"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure EABCO makes Zipper brass, based on that ad. They don't specifically list Zipper brass; just Wasp brass. In addition, I have a TON of 30-30 brass lying around, so it gives me a reason to use it up. Hmmm, maybe I should rebarrel my Rem 788 30-30 into something like a 6mm Wasp?

·
Registered
840 Posts
25/35, 25-35 Tomcat, 225/30-30

If I was rebarreling an action from 30-30 to a more varminty caliber, here are my 3 choices:

Factory 25-35

Improved 25-35

or 225 Winchester, but formed from 30-30 or 25-35 so it would have the large 30-30 sized rim to fit the bolt. The benefit here is standard dies instead of expensive custom dies.

Bruce

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good choices. I would add 6mm/30-30 (std or improved version). It would seem you could use .375 Win brass to make the .225 Win cases, too. The thicker brass for that caliber might be the ticket.

V.

·
Registered
785 Posts
219 zipper

There's a guy on Gunbroker that sells brass based on the 30-30 ready for fireforming. I think most of what he sells is for the Donaldson Wasp. More importantly he will size just about anything you want. I had him shorten and size 200pcs for a 6mm Seely Masker Wasp. Think it cost me 40.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I Have Made 219 Donaldson Wasp Brass

I have made 219 Donaldson Wasp Brass from 25/35 and 30 American
Brass. I am fortunate to have the Skip Otto Forming Dies and it is a
piece of cake with these dies. So very unfortunately Skip passed away
a while back. Never met him, but one of the nicest fellows that I ever
spoke with on the phone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Short of buying expensive form dies, does anyone out there have a procedure for forming Zipper cases from 30-30 brass?

TIA,
Vardoc
It's not real easy but it can be done IF you have a good variety of dies sets available so as to form in several steps.
I tired of that deal and had mine rechambered to the 219Imp. Now a run of a 225Win. case through the forming die gets me ready to load.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts