Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a Savage Low Profile and I am looking for some others thoughts on the caliber. I plan on using it for coyotes, prairie dogs and various other varmint. My question is what does each caliber have to offer and any draw backs.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If a new rifle is in the works, I'd go with a 204, as it will perform right alongside the 22-250, and have less drop, less wind deflection. But know going in that the brass and bullets will be a tad more in price until supply catches up with demand, as it's still relatively new.

Check out the ongoing discussion on the reloading forum here on the 223 vs. the 204, and you'll have an information overload.

Basically though, the 204 will outperform the 22-250 and use less powder doing it, albeit with lighter bullets. I own and shoot both calibers, and prefer the 204.

For all the information you ever wanted on the 204, check out www.rugerhunting.com/204 There is a forum there with previous posts that cover your exact question. Good luck on the project.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If it will be your main coyote gun go with the .22-250 unless your a hide hunter. To kill coyotes with the .204 stay with the heavy bullets. I`ve heard that the 35 gr. Bergers are good, but I know for sure that the 32 gr. Serrias are no good for coyotes at all. They are my bullet of choice for groundhog, but do not have the penatration nessary for coyotes. When I go out for coyotes now I leave the .204 home and take a .22-6mm, an 80 gr Serria bullet at over 3,500 fps. Haven`t got one with it yet, but I`m expecting a real big hole on the far side.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The 22-250 will go out a lot further

I don't have a 204, but, do have several 22-250's and from what I understand, they will reach out a lot further than the 204. Good luck......:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you wanting to save fur?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I just see a lot more fur damage with my 22-250's - I have had 4 of them. Now down to 2. I have gone with somewhat heavier hollow point bullets and slowed down both, my 204 and 22-250 in order to try to keep from blowing legs off of bobcats and coyotes. If hit wrong, both can still do a lot of damage, but I just haven't experienced giant exit holes with the 204. Bullet placement is critical, even so. The 204 is a proven coyote killer out past 400 yds just as it is. The last coyote was DRT after about 16 inches or so of drop and I'm sighted in at 1 1/2" high at 100 yds. It's a 40 gn Berger going about 3750. Anymore, the 204 goes and the 22-250 stays in the safe.

If you want to shred animals - stay with the high speed polymers in either gun and you can explode varmints.

Remember too, that you can have more than one load for a particular gun.

IMO, it's another endless debate otherwise comparing minute differences.

Get one and get out there and just have fun.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Get one of each.....

...and try them out.

You'll likely find that you like both of them for different reasons as they are both definitely good but different cartridges with different advantages for each.

My first varmint cartridge was a 22-250 and I've shot other 20 caliber rifles for years. I own several of each (22-250 and 204 Ruger), but there is no such thing as a perfect cartridge except where it exists in someone's mind. That's why these two cartridges aren't the only choices we have....

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I think that

It all comes down to what you will use the new rifle most for and whether you reload your own or not.

If you plan on shooting a BUNCH of Pdogs, ground hogs, or rock chucks and an occasional yote under 350 yds... Definately the 204. Vise a versa and go with the 22-050.

If you are a reloader I'd go with the 204 for all the above. If you do not reload your own then I'd go with the 22-250 and find a factory round that shoots great and buy a bunch of them. Just my humble opinion.WD

·
Registered
58 Posts
I my self still trying to figure out the advanges of 204 over 22-250 and can't seem to find them. i can push 40g bullets as fast as the 204 and the wind will mess with the 40g alot more than the heaveir bullets you have with the 22-250s. not to mention the wide selection of bullets you can get in .224 and as far as messing up hides i hunt coyotes for the fur and with 52g bthp you can down load them to about 3500fps and they are very accurate and if your any kind of shot you can allow for the drop and it usually leave bullet size hole going in and about dime size comeing out but you will have to place bullet right to make him go down however you can push 40g nosler bullet about 4100fps and go for should and the bullet will most of the time never leave the dog but it blows the inside of them up and they never run .......... and as far as accuracy with 55g soft point with the right gun makeing a shot on a coyote @400 yards is easy or even a rabbit as far as that goes as long as wind is forgiven ..

·
Registered
25 Posts
22-250 Savage 1-9 Twists are coming!

In a recent conversation. Savage for 2007 are offereing the 22-250 with 1-9 twists in the LRPV and 12LP. Seating a 75 A-max - it may not be a high volume gun unless you counting inches off the ground and not running count : ). I have one on the way with baited breath.
Anyone else play with this caliber/twist conbo yet and any feedback? Love to hear some!

Thanks
JamieD

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Advantages; no recoil for the 204, big advantage if shooting colony varmints and you want to see your hits, less powder-longer barrel life for the 204. Probably less noise as well, not that it matters.

I'm guessing accuracy is similar. I don't currently own a 204, but I do own a Tac 20, which is almost identical. Also, have a 22-250 and a 22-250AI. Wouldn't choose to give up any of them.

Buy both,
Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
helpful link

I recently decided on the 22-250 over the .223 & everything else on the mkt (.223 is much more available and less expensive round) because of the ballistics. I figure, hey, I'm going out of my way big time to hunt - ammo should simply perform and not be part of the equation. I picked the 22-250 but that's just my .02...

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/?url=/ballistics/204_ruger.html&x=6&y=4

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've gotta BR table Rem. 600 in 22-250 in a 8 twist that shoots 55-80 grain bullets well. I had it throated for the 75 grain A-max and it shoots them superbly! I bet it would be awesome on coyotes. I had it made up for 500 yard plus groundhogs.. found out the hard way that the bullet doesn't expand too well IN MY GUN at that range. I bet that the Sierra 65grain Spitzer Boattail would be another excellent choice for critters. Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.