Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using a 223 WSSM? I'm in the market for a rifle, mostly used for coyote, and had planned on getting another 22/250 since I have the dies and a pile of brass. The other day I saw a new Model 70 Stealth 2 in 223 WSSM at a pretty good discount and might be interested in it if I knew a little more about it. I've read several magazine articles and the Browning website comparison of the two cartridges. They all say pretty much the same thing, very accurate, identical velocity, and barrel life as good or better than the 22/250. The salesman had the same spiel, great cartridge but he did say they probably would not be getting anymore guns in that caliber because they didn't sell very well. Just would like to hear from anyone who may have some first hand experience with it.
Thanks Alot.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Stick with your 22-250, as from what I've seen so far from others with the 223 WSSM, you'll be much happier with the 22-250, and have boatloads more money to spend on bullets, brass, powder and primers, rather than a new barrel after every season.....PLUS by not going with the 223 WSSM, you won't have to deal with ammo prices that will blow your socks off! :D

("Exotic" is not always better it appears.)

I personally feel that this caliber will be going the way of the Doo-Doo bird in another few years.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
If you cant get it done with the 22-250, you dont need to do it!! Since you already are set up for reloading and have the brass, etc, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think you'd be better off buying a 22/250. I bought the same rifle your thinking about, a Stealth, it shot like crap and ate bore brushes in the beginning. I think the barrel was junk. That rifle is now in transit back to me with a SS barrel and chambered with a minimum spec chamber and a tighter neck, I've not given up! I also bought a second one, but haven't shot that one hardly at all yet, so I'm waiting to see if the first one was just a fluke or not.

The first one shot some fantastic groups, but velocity was in the 22/250 range and a WSSM should be in Swift territory or better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The 223 WSSM is a great cartridge reaching advertised ballistics very easily. Most often in the real world the rifle is more important than the cartridge and in the case of the 223 WSSM's that is their death knell. They foul like crazy, are none too accurate, and have a bastard twist of 1 in 10 so you can't shoot the real heavies like 75 gr. A-max's, Scirocco's, or 70 gr. Barnes that are really the forte of the capacity of the 223 WSSM.
I have a 1 in 8 twisted, Krieger barreled Win 70 CRPF and with 75 gr. A-max's , 3400 comes easily with no pressure signs and great accuracy while making long range mayhem on woodchucks easier than ever. I think the 75 gr. A-max’s are one of the best kept secrets as far as varminting goes as they have the fragibility to really put the whomp on things way out there, particularly with their high impact speeds compared to lesser projectiles. 75 grain Scirocco's launched at those speeds really put the hammer down on deer as well.
Whatever chance the 223 WSSM had was killed with that 1 in 10 twist IMO and the crappy chrome lined barrels they put on them.
As far as going extinct and being left without support Federal makes good price at a reasonable price. Buy 500 and they should outlast a few barrels if you were to anneal after a few firings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.