Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Savage.......Tikka or CZ......

Savage in the LRPV if you like the left eject port (07 models with 7 twist)
Savage Low Profile s/shot
T3 Tikka SS Varminter
CZ 550 Varminter (maybe available with HS stock)
I'd prefer the SS from Savage or Tikka over the blue CZ 550...but the 550 has s/set trigger...Savage and Tikka have great triggers too

·
Registered
488 Posts
Savage would get my vote. Either the Low Profile or the right bolt, left port model. Pick the one best suited for your style of shooting. Only modification I would consider would be to change the trigger. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
If this is for a gift, that's another thing. But if it's for yourself and with that max. budget, I'd look around for a like-new used Cooper. If it has to be new, maybe I'd try a Tikka. Really, for that kind of money my choice would be to find a used 700 with .308 boltface and build one. Put a good barrel on it with a chamber spec'd the way you want it. It'll perform better than any new factory rifle. Takeoff Rem. varmint stocks aren't difficult to find.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ackman, read your post and I started figuring out the cost. A used Rem action in the $300 + range plus shipping and my dealers fee, so pretty close to $400. A Krieger barrel, another $300+. Gunsmith to set up the barrel and true the action which will also mean a Holland lug, that's a good $400+ with shipping both ways. Say a good, meaning in like new condition, H-S used stock, another $175~$200. The bedding I can do. So, we're talking in the $1,275~$1,300 range.

Then it dawned on me that I have a Rem SS action that has a factory barrel on it chambered in .220 Swift and it's in a VLS stock. BINGO! The cost just dropped a chunk.

Now I'm thinking Swift instead of 22/250!

This could also mean a Jewel trigger from Larry Scott!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ole, remember that your $1275-$1300 is getting a custom gun. BUT it doesn't cost that much. Or at least it shouldn't. Even with shipping and dealer fees, I don't see how a $300 action could wind up being $400. But anyway, pawnshops are all over. Just in the Salt Lake Basin there are a bunch of gunshops and a whole ton of pawnshops. And gunshows are all over the country. Keeping a sharp eye it's not too difficult finding what you want, sometimes at a remarkably good price. But assuming you have an action in hand:

*Barrel - If you have to have a Krieger or Lilja, they cost a lot. But PacNor and Walther(which I would buy), just to mention a couple, are every bit as good and cost about $250. *****Factory rifles come with factory barrels....any of these custom barrels are better than a factory tube.

*Holland (or any aftermarket) recoil lug - Rebarrelling doesn't mean you have to use one and it's not necessary. I have at least 15 Remingtons with stock (although many have been ground) lugs, and they don't need an accessory lug. But since they're only about $25, why not? *****Factory guns have factory recoil lugs.

*True action - Should be about $125 and no more than $150. It's also not necessary. I have both trued and untrued actions and doubt seriously that it makes any discernable difference in how the gun shoots. *****Factory rifles come with an action that's NOT trued.

*Fit/chamber barrel - About $125-$150. Any more than that is too much. And it's exactly what you want, not a sloppy factory chamber.

*Stock - My 2 H-S/Rem. varmint stocks came from Hill Country Rifles for $150 apiece. That's about what a new takeoff is worth....$175 would be tops. New takeoff Rem. laminated varmint stocks go for $85-$125.

Using the higher number in every case, that's $750 not counting the action. And when you're done you have a custom versus a factory gun. There's no comparison. And it can cost less.....omit truing and the accessory recoil lug (new rifles have neither) and it's about $600 plus action. In other words, a used gun rebarrelled and re-stocked (if you wish) that's head and shoulders above anything new from the factory. The barrel/chamber are what's really important.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ole, remember that your $1275-$1300 is getting a custom gun. BUT it doesn't cost that much. Or at least it shouldn't. Even with shipping and dealer fees, I don't see how a $300 action could wind up being $400. But anyway, pawnshops are all over. Just in the Salt Lake Basin there are a bunch of gunshops and a whole ton of pawnshops. And gunshows are all over the country. Keeping a sharp eye it's not too difficult finding what you want, sometimes at a remarkably good price. But assuming you have an action in hand:

*Barrel - If you have to have a Krieger or Lilja, they cost a lot. But PacNor and Walther(which I would buy), just to mention a couple, are every bit as good and cost about $250. *****Factory rifles come with factory barrels....any of these custom barrels are better than a factory tube.

*Holland (or any aftermarket) recoil lug - Rebarrelling doesn't mean you have to use one and it's not necessary. I have at least 15 Remingtons with stock (although many have been ground) lugs, and they don't need an accessory lug. But since they're only about $25, why not? *****Factory guns have factory recoil lugs.

*True action - Should be about $125 and no more than $150. It's also not necessary. I have both trued and untrued actions and doubt seriously that it makes any discernable difference in how the gun shoots. *****Factory rifles come with an action that's NOT trued.

*Fit/chamber barrel - About $125-$150. Any more than that is too much. And it's exactly what you want, not a sloppy factory chamber.

*Stock - My 2 H-S/Rem. varmint stocks came from Hill Country Rifles for $150 apiece. That's about what a new takeoff is worth....$175 would be tops. New takeoff Rem. laminated varmint stocks go for $85-$125.

Using the higher number in every case, that's $750 not counting the action. And when you're done you have a custom versus a factory gun. There's no comparison. And it can cost less.....omit truing and the accessory recoil lug (new rifles have neither) and it's about $600 plus action. In other words, a used gun rebarrelled and re-stocked (if you wish) that's head and shoulders above anything new from the factory. The barrel/chamber are what's really important.
This all seems pretty reasonable considering the fact that this will out shoot any factory rifle made. I'm in the process of building a rifle for the first time, can't wait to get going on it. This board has helped me out quite a bit so far.
The one thing I believe you left out Ackman is the trigger, I know factory Remmy triggers can be adjusted but if you are going this far you may as well have an after market trigger, right? Its a small investment compared to everything else but I believe the trigger is second only to a good barrel.
Just my thoughts, don't want to ruffle any feathers as I'm sure you know much more than I.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
There are alot of good guns on the market, but I would say you need to give some consideration to how your going to use it. If your never going to leave the bench the heaver the better. BUT, if you going to be stalking all the time the liter the better. Give some consideration to the weight of the gun.
Put a Leupold scope on it. The 3 x 9X scope is probibly the best alround power on the market. It will allow you low power for close in and give you a good point of aim to 500 yrds on PD`s. If your going to be dooing all long range shooting you might get a higher powered scope.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ackman, certain gunsmith I've used a few times charges $200 to fit and chamber a barrel, no complaints on his work. But I bought a barrel from Pacnor for a Savage already setup except for the cutting of the chamber and headspacing and this gunsmith still wanted $200 to put it on the Savage.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ackman, certain gunsmith I've used a few times charges $200 to fit and chamber a barrel, no complaints on his work. But I bought a barrel from Pacnor for a Savage already setup except for the cutting of the chamber and headspacing and this gunsmith still wanted $200 to put it on the Savage.
I think that guy's way too expensive. One thing you might consider.....PacNor makes a Savage-style barrel nut with Remington threads. Cost is $50. I have a couple but haven't used them yet. They're beautifully made and look much better than the Savage part. Order a shoulderless chambered PacNor barrel and one of those nuts and put it together yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
xr100

if you bought 1 of these, you would become very happy...

·
Registered
40 Posts
do you have a savage lrpv?

if you have 2 xr-100s, get something different...a used cooper or lrpv and you would be the 22-250 man.

the favorite 22-250 factory rifle of mine is the winchester heavy varmint

·
Registered
407 Posts
Buy the one YOU like !

For that kind of $$$$$ you should absolutely LOVE THE GUN ! Pick up and handle the one's you like and buy the one that feels and looks the best to you. For out of the box accuracy, you can't beat the Savage with the accutrigger. Good luck. ................:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.