Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a friend that is a very astute archer and experienced big game hunter, and he`s interested in doing some Bob and yote hunting with me. He`s looking at a new Ruger 77 in 22 Hornet and as I know NOTHING about the Hornet, I`ll defer to you all to pass on yeas or nays as to whether this is a reasonable coyote gun out to 200 yds.
Not may shots over 5o-100 yds here in the timber, and I have long range rifles for him to use if we go east of the mts.
Thanks for any advice and it`s nice to be back. Surprised no one got my handle while I was away.

·
Registered
200 Posts
..The hornet is ok, but I would use a .223 on yotes...Then you could shoot anything from 40gr-69gr. bullets in a 1/9 twist...

·
Registered
308 Posts
hounds

If your runnin bob cats a lot of them get shot on the run actually. You can use the hornet if they tree but dont discount a 12 gauge with 0000 shot or something. It will also be effective for yotes. The hornet is a bit lacking for yotes but with careful sot placement would work. There are better guns like 204s and 223 s

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hornet ?

You might consider a Hornet in the CZ 527. Mine shoots very well and they are light weight.
The Ruger 22 Hornet have a reputation of being iffy in the accuracy department, some shoot and some don't.
Also consider a change in cartridge, a 222 or 223 would be a better choice for Bcats and coyote. But not as fur friendly as a Hornet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The Hornet will work just fine on fox, bobcats and coyotes, but in my hunting, I do try to stay inside 150 yards - especially on yotes. I've tipped over the occasional red fox at 200 yards or so, but only when they wouldn't come closer.

If I go out specifically for yotes, I take a .221 Fireball or .223. But if I'm out just walking or fox-hunting and a yote pops up, I'd never hesitate to pop it with a Hornet.

The Ruger can be an iffy deal in Hornet, but a decent shooting one is a joy to own. Tell your buddy he has my approval.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The biggest problem with a hornet and yotes........

is bullet selection. The 40g Speer is a fine bullet for yotes and foxes. I killed a slug to foxes, big dogs that folks drop off at my house, house cats, etc.

The thin skinned poly tip bullets may fail you on a yote if you hit the shoulder or rib, not the 40g Speer. Another thing about the 40g Speer is that you will probably be able to touch the lands and still use the magazine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ruger

Hi all, I have a friend that is a very astute archer and experienced big game hunter, and he`s interested in doing some Bob and yote hunting with me. He`s looking at a new Ruger 77 in 22 Hornet and as I know NOTHING about the Hornet, I`ll defer to you all to pass on yeas or nays as to whether this is a reasonable coyote gun out to 200 yds.
Not may shots over 5o-100 yds here in the timber, and I have long range rifles for him to use if we go east of the mts.
Thanks for any advice and it`s nice to be back. Surprised no one got my handle while I was away.
I have owned 3 Rugers in 22 Hornet. I would never buy another Ruger. I just bought a CZ. Will probably never buy anything else but a CZ. Love the single set trigger. The 221 fireball will not disapoint you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts