Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of where I might obtain a .22 Jet Rifle? I Got Brass Bullets and a TC 10 barrel in .22 Jet, yet need a .22 Jet Rifle! ;)Can YOU Feel my Pain?:rolleyes:

"Oh Lord won't you buy me a .22 Jet Rifle...??? My friends all have Hornets, I must make amends...:eek:

Thank YOU!:)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm not sure ANYONE has ever made one, the only one I think MIGHT have been made is a Marlin 57 Levermatic. Ummmmmmm, good luck with finding one of those, in that chambering..................

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Wasn't the Marlin Levermatic offered in .256 Winchester? I have never seen a .22 Remington Jet rifle, but you might be able to take a .22 Hornet, pull the barrel, shorten and rethread it and rechamber to .22 Jet. A Ruger #1 or #3 single shot would be a great choice for this, maybe a CZ #527 would work too.

I saw a Marlin Levermatic in .30 carbine last weekend, but that might be difficult to convert.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!

Wasn't the Marlin Levermatic offered in .256 Winchester? I have never seen a .22 Remington Jet rifle, but you might be able to take a .22 Hornet, pull the barrel, shorten and rethread it and rechamber to .22 Jet. A Ruger #1 or #3 single shot would be a great choice for this, maybe a CZ #527 would work too.

I saw a Marlin Levermatic in .30 carbine last weekend, but that might be difficult to convert.
Anyone got a Ruger Single Shot for a fair price where as I may get a barrel chambered in .22 Remington Jet Magnum?

Wow:eek: Boy:D Am I excited;)! Which is best a Ruger #1 or a Ruger #3, as i don't have a Clue!

Please somebody help save this Old Tired Rokit Scientist for the Want's and Needs of Varmintdom!!!

May God Bless your Red Mist double tap pumping Heart!:p

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Is this a trick question?

"Which is best a Ruger #1 or a Ruger #3, as i don't have a Clue!"

I am not sure a "best" Ruger exists, except maybe in MLM's mind.:D:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
H&R

A buddy of mine had one of the H&R 22 jets. Someone stole it out of his pickup:mad:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Isn't the .256 Win. a necked down .357? If so, it shouldn't be much of a rebarrel job to .22 Jet, also either a necked down .38 Spl. or .357. I think the Levermatic was only available in two chamberings, .256 and .30 Carbine. Never knew of the H&Rs in .22 Jet, that's a new one on me.:)
The Ruger #1 and #3 are the same action, with different levers and furniture, as far as I know.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Nice Shot There Bruce

Hey Bruce:

Thanks for the shot ! :D I owned a Rooooooooooger a while back. It was a
Model One in .223 (an older Model at that). Dug out the OAL Gauge & tried
to find the lands with a Sierra 40 Blitz King. Hey, the rod on the OAL Gauge
was sticking out the end by about 1/4 inch. So, went to the "Storage
Bunker" and looked for the longest .224 bullet I could find. Took a 69 grainer
and stuck it in the modified case. Yep, it would not reach the lands either.
So, I gave up on getting close to the lands. Loaded up several loads & off
to the range I went. That thing was lucky to shoot a group the size of a
large paper plate at 100 yards. Worst shooting rifle I ever saw. Went as
fast as I could to our local Gunshop. The owner was "hot" for the Model One
to put up for a keeper. We finally agreed on a trade on one condition. I
ask him to "never" shoot the rifle & he agreed ! MIght as well had a shot
gun. Hey I traded it for a Savage model 112 in .22-250 that shot real good.
Thanks again Bruce for the "Truth about Rugers".

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
gee,,thanks a LOT....!

Just as I have almost successfully forgotten a rifle I found for sale [and PASSED on it!],,,,you open up the wound again.
Atlanta Gun Show about 5 years ago,,,an H&R Topper in......yes.....22 Jet [factory origional] for............$200 ASKING PRICE.
Look around, if you can 'handle' buying one of these utilitarian grade rifles, they surface now and then. I've had very good results/accuracy with NEF and H & R single shot rifles. I've killed several deer with a few I've had.

a few of them in shotgun form, and....
17 HMR
.223 Rem
30/30 Win [couple of them]
30/30 Ackley Improved [same barrel after I made chips]
.357 Mag/Max [reamed it out then sold it]
.357 Mag [another rifle that I bought after realizing the mistake I made selling the first one-the only one I now still have]
.45/70 fun one holer [100 yards!] rifle that I shot about anything that would fit in it's .45 cal bore including paper patched bullets.
Killed deer with the 30/30 Ackley and the 45/70 barrels.

Oh,,what were we talking about?????? You sent me off on a tangent thought. Easier and easier to do at 58 years of age and a bit of caffiene in the head.....:D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as I have almost successfully forgotten a rifle I found for sale [and PASSED on it!],,,,you open up the wound again.

Alan Let's look hard, Thanks for remembering, Share w/ me and I will Share w/ you! I got LOTS of Brass and Bullets!

Fuzz:D

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Fuzz, I found a H&R Topper in .22 Remington Jet in Clayton, GA...rather I found a guy who owns one. He has three, actually, one unfired in the box and two in VGC. While he does not care to sell one now, he is trying to buy something expensive and may need to liquidate something. He has my phone number. Let me know your price range so I can act if he decides to sell one of the used ones.:D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ordered a barrel from Fox Ridge

$325 and it will be perfect to my application... Thanks Guys!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fuzz - I came across this thread while searching the internet regarding .22 Jet rifles. I joined up here at Varmints Den to find out how your project is coming.

If you build or buy a Jet rifle or carbine I believe you will enjoy it. I have a T/C carbine in .22 Jet, as well as a couple of revolvers, and am happy with the caliber.

I was browsing the net looking for velocity readings on the factory Jet cartridge fired from a rifle when I discovered your interest. Sounds like the folks here have given you some good input.

I'm also trying to search out LIL'GUN loading data for the Jet cartridge. That powder works well in the .22 Hornet so I expect it will work in the Jet case as well.

Good luck. You are in for a fun ride with a combination almost no one has any interest in. I confess - I've got the Jet bug, too.

Sr. Shooter

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Morning!

I hit this forum every am, before the National & Local news. I hove lots of Jet compoents and really want a TC custom barrel in 20" to play with, once I have that I will move my TC Hornet 10" barrel and rely on the carbine for plinking and small game & varmints! Glade that you made it here!:)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
And "Under Dog's"

I knew that Donnie was gonna come at you Bruce for that remark. :D
Fuzz, let me ask a question. Why not just go out & buy a rifle in a
common caliber & save all the cost of rechambering. I had a S & W MOdel 53 22 Jet. It didn't work worth a hoot because of the taper of the case,
the cylinder would jam all the time. Sell all the Jet stuff & buy yourself
a good rifle. Now, here Donnie has gotten his feeling all hurt by Bruce's
"Rooooooooooger Remark". (Way to go Bruce). ;)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because I have 800 pieces of Virgin Brass

and 1500 bullotts!:p

I knew that Donnie was gonna come at you Bruce for that remark. :D
Fuzz, let me ask a question. Why not just go out & buy a rifle in a
common caliber & save all the cost of rechambering. I had a S & W MOdel 53 22 Jet. It didn't work worth a hoot because of the taper of the case,
the cylinder would jam all the time. Sell all the Jet stuff & buy yourself
a good rifle. Now, here Donnie has gotten his feeling all hurt by Bruce's
"Rooooooooooger Remark". (Way to go Bruce). ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts