Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a fur friendly round for in the timber and field edges, 250 yards would be the rare occasion. Leaning towards the 17 but could be talked into the 221 Fireball. Who's had this problem before:D Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
Watch out fer the 17 bug. Once bitten-forever itch!! Both calibers, with correct bullets, will do what you ask. I'd get one(or two) of each & form yer own opinion. Pretty tough to have too many rifles. Bill

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Looking for fox/coyote round

I asked the guy behind the counter in Albany Wisc that very same question back in 82.He handed me a beautiful Ruger77V in 22-250.I took it and a box of 55sp home to try out.Later that week I stept out the back door to see a fox in the windbreak not more than 50 yards away.Well I got out my new rifle,put the x hairs on him and pulled the trigger :eek: That fox was instantly longer than I am tall but did make a pretty design in the snow.Kinda disappointed I took the fox back to the guy behind the counter and asked WTF.He then handed me a box of 55FMJ and told me to try these.A couple of weeks later I saw a fox out in the field and stopt to put the stalk on it.Got to within 65 yards and put the x hairs on it,pulled the trigger:eek:AGAIN!! Who would have guessed that a FMJ would rip a fox in to.....alright I didn't at the time.Back to the guy behind the counter with what was left of the fox and told him I was actually looking for a fur friendly round.He then asked how far away where these fox?When he stopped laughing he advised me to either use a 22lr or yell at them and wait till they got past 200 yards to shoot.I ended up using a 45grain SPSX and NOT shooting at anything closer than 150 yards.
Long way around the barn.Get the fireball !! A close shot with the 17Rem could result in :eek:with a fox

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ruined a pelt or two with the 17 Remington

It is difficult to put things in "pause" and then adjust the scenario to how it would be perfect. You gotta shoot them where they are, you can wait till he starts to leave and get some distance between you and him. Around here at fifty yards you ain't gonna see him no more in most places. Then again wheatfields offer some long shots as well. Gotta be flexible, lots of variables.

I've tore several foxes in half with a 17 Remington that I thought was going to be my cure all, it wasn't. But it was great if they were out there, one of my best shots was 190 yards with it. Bullet didn't matter, 20-25gr-Ballistic tip, Hollow point, rip! Remington is soon coming forth with a new 17 Fireball, same bullet selection though, and velocity is nearly the same, just less fouling from unburned powder. Still gonna rip em!

I have never tried the Fireball, wish I had though, I may yet in a slower caliber, not the 17 F/B. The 22 Hornet is currently serving me very well. Shot a Gray two weeks ago at about 80 yards, perfect shoulder hit, no exit. All energy expended inside from that 35 gr V-Max. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I asked the guy behind the counter in Albany Wisc that very same question back in 82.He handed me a beautiful Ruger77V in 22-250.I took it and a box of 55sp home to try out.Later that week I stept out the back door to see a fox in the windbreak not more than 50 yards away.Well I got out my new rifle,put the x hairs on him and pulled the trigger :eek: That fox was instantly longer than I am tall but did make a pretty design in the snow.Kinda disappointed I took the fox back to the guy behind the counter and asked WTF.He then handed me a box of 55FMJ and told me to try these.A couple of weeks later I saw a fox out in the field and stopt to put the stalk on it.Got to within 65 yards and put the x hairs on it,pulled the trigger:eek:AGAIN!! Who would have guessed that a FMJ would rip a fox in to.....alright I didn't at the time.Back to the guy behind the counter with what was left of the fox and told him I was actually looking for a fur friendly round.He then asked how far away where these fox?When he stopped laughing he advised me to either use a 22lr or yell at them and wait till they got past 200 yards to shoot.I ended up using a 45grain SPSX and NOT shooting at anything closer than 150 yards.
Long way around the barn.Get the fireball !! A close shot with the 17Rem could result in :eek:with a fox
CJ...I got quite a chuckle out of your style. Not bad for a mending Norweeeegin!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts