Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windy & Cold here to day so was looking at some old 222 Rem Ammo & Box's that came with a 788 that I bought 8 yrs ago. Have 8 differnt Headstamps of commercial brass & what looks like afew case of Mil 223 that were formed. There were 6 factory 50gr SP that have Round Primers, now those have to be old . I started reloading 39 yrs ago & don't recall ever seeing anything but Flat Primers. Headstamps were as follows...
REM-UMC, 222 Rem
Super-X, 222 Rem
W-W Super, 222 Rem
F C, 222 Rem
R . P, 222 Rem
Super Speed, 222 Rem
Norma Re, 222 Rem
Norma .222
Also have [7] different Box's that the ammo came in. Several were Remington [Oil Proof] & 3 -diff Colors of Western X , made by Olin back east. The 2-other were L C- 73 & T W 71. think those were 223 case formed to Duce . All the reloads that came with rifle were 50gr Sp, BLC-2 powder @ 3100 fps. I shot a few of the reloads , then pulled some cases that looked to have a bit of corrosion on them. As I dumped out the powder, in one case I found a bent in half burnt paper match, don't think that fell in there by accident. Guess as we are all told, DON"T shoot hand loads that we don't have History on. Tks for reading , Russ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Over time, I seem to have acquired some older "oddities" and have run across some of those rounded primers as well. The box of Western unprimed .222 has them as well as the yellow box of W-W Super X. I would also like to know their age. Note the unprimed has a price of $1.70 written in pencil. :eek: I also have some RWS headstamped cases in my collection but couldn't lay my hands on them at the moment. :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice collection of ammo

Are you collecting different brands of .222 or is this just what you have on hand? That would be an interesting hobby to do, I think. I am collecting some different calibers of Herter's ammo. Darrel

·
Registered
258 Posts
My first press, a C-H "c" type came with both flat and rounded primer seating punches.
I believe Winchester and Western primers used a dished punch and everybody else used the flat one. Later they all used the flat punch.
I have a 1976 Herters catalog but the FA'68 gutted the firearms section. No more buying firearms through the mail, the last nail in Herters' coffin.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Over time, I seem to have acquired some older "oddities" and have run across some of those rounded primers as well. The box of Western unprimed .222 has them as well as the yellow box of W-W Super X. I would also like to know their age. Note the unprimed has a price of $1.70 written in pencil. :eek: I also have some RWS headstamped cases in my collection but couldn't lay my hands on them at the moment./quote]

I believe the WW box in the center is from the early or mid 60's. The Vernon Speer box on the upper left maybe from the late 50's. The Sako Rem-Mag box on the right is from the mid to late 70's.

Im no expert on them, but am going from some of my own memories, of owning some of those same items in the past. Nice little collection you have too, for the deuce.:)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Rounded primers

I have not studdied the history of primers but the round ones seem to have disapeared 40 years ago. I do have several hundered of them in the collection with no idea what I am going to do with all of them.

I do have a Rockchucker dated 1974 that came with both round and flat primer punches.

Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.