Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be something that you guys have already heard....But Gander Mtn and several other big chains recieved notification from Federal, Remington and Winchester that there would be no more .223 ammunition available for commerical sales through at least the rest of this year (2007). It is all being allocated for military use. I guess how long it will be on the shelves is dependent upon how much is currently in distribution centers. I know that the local GM store at Corsicana, Tx doesn't have but a few boxes from the above mentioned manufacturers. And very little from Wolfe and such companies as that. I assume that companies like Black Hills and Hornaday will continue to distribute for retail, but don't know how well they will be able to keep up with the demand.
I had heard some time back that the afore mentioned companies were only operating at 50% commerical capacity.......and their other time was going to filling military contract.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's true.....

about the scarcity of 223 ammo. An industry friend just called to tell me that Federal, among other manufacturers, is now backlogged 10 MILLION rounds of 223 to the military. The situation will most likely spread to primers as happened a few years ago, and copper/brass prices continue to climb. A buddy in Portland, OR just called to say he can't find a full case of 223 ammo anywhere in that metro area.

Not one to spread bogus info, I thought it best to let all know that this situation is now here, and we should respond accordingly with whatever needs you may have while material is still in the pipeline.

Thank you to the "individuals" (I'm being PC here....) that made all this happen. May the fleas of ten million camels infest your collective armpits. :mad:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well, with a war going on 'an all......

Seriously though, I'm told that virtually every body that goes "over there" now will receive some combat training, even if your MOS or billet is washing trucks. With that in mind, the amount of ammunition used in training is skyrocketing, not to mention the fresh 'surge' of new troops destined for that theatre, so it makes some sense that stockpiles would be getting low about now, and the need for fresh 5.56mm ammunition would be logical.

The figure of 10M rounds backlogged by Federal was just from that manufacturer alone. No mention of other makers, but I do know that Black Hills is also at full tilt with military contracts, and they are not putting any more 223 ammo out to dealers at this time.

None of this can be any good for us........ :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.