Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a decent 22lr revolver with a 4" barrel?
I want to pick one up for my brother. He would prefer one that holds more than the standard 6 rounds. The thing is, it probably wont get much use and he can't really see the sights anyway...so I can't see paying all that money for a S&W. I don't really know who else out there makes them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Have Ruger ..& S & W

I'd suggest that you look for a used S & W..and keep your eyes open for a Ruger Single Six convertible[.22/.22WMR].

I'm just a trigger puller but my S & W 617 4" shoots better for me than my Ruger. Both tend to be a little on the heavy side..have an old Ruger Mk I semi-auto that's spent more time in the field than all the handguns I own put together.

You're a good brother looking out for his interests.

·
Registered
270 Posts
22 revolver

my favorite is a 6" S&W 617.
Taurus makes a model 94, 970 and a model 17R also 17 and 22 mag double action revolvers with adjustable sights. Most of these are right around the $325 range for a NIB specimen, I'm sure you can find one at a gunshow for around $275. The quality on these are pretty good, capacity is 7-8 or 9 rds. depending on model.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I agree!

S&W K17 (blue, kinda rare) or 617 (stainless) or the stainless Ruger Super Single Six (interchangable LR/22mag cylinders & target sights).

But, don't shut out the Ruger MkII in a semi auto...It is the gun that started Strum/Ruger on their way. Very accurate and very dependable!;) (I love the K17, but the MKII is so fine that I don't miss not having the K17 anymore.)

P.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My favorite 22 pistols are my 6" S&W 617 (6-shot version) and my Ruger 22-45 with 4" barrel. I know you said revolver, but my favorite carry pistol of these two is the Ruger. Either of these are good, but lots of other options are out there as well. I would definitely recommend adjustable sights on whatever you choose (oops, just noticed comment that he can't see the sights). Would a scope or red dot sight be a consideration?

·
Registered
717 Posts
S&W

Like some others say, the S&W 617 is a pretty nice .22 handgun. I have the 4", 10 shot version & will never be with out it. I had a 6", but traded for the shorter barrel & prefer it. I have had two Ruger semi auto .22 handguns. They functioned flawlessly, but accuracy was sub par.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it`s on the cheap, grab an H&R

I have a couple H&R revolvers. They hold 9 shots and are REALLY accurate. They are so cheap that they are the perfect carry gun up here for cat hunts(not that we do any hound hunting for cats, that would be against the law) where slips, falls and crashes are common and lost sidearms are not uncommon. Never a problem or complaint with the H&R handguns. Are they still in biz?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help!

I looked at the H&R website. Looks like they quit making revolvers. There are a bunch of them on GA though. These are just what I was looking for.

I ruled out the Single-six. I have one of those. My brother is missing most of his fingers and I think he would have a hell of a time loading/unloading it.

The price is all wrong on the S&W for a gun that wont be used much. BUT, I've been looking at one for myself if I can sell my Ruger. I'll shoot the H&R before taking it up to ID and see how I like it, I may just end up getting one of those instead.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 617 is a gun to pass on to the grand kids. I have one in 6", a 10 shot, a great shooter. There are some Ruger MK2 target 5.5" around, which is a great shooter in a smi-auto. Ruger rep told me it was the best they ever made.
Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Doesn't meet the 4" request

But, I waited about 10 years and finally found this one. I passed on a couple of great "kit" guns and am very happy.

It's a K22, four digit serial, and I had to have the end shake taken out. I've put several rounds down it and it handles all well, some great.

And as a bonus, it came with the case and an old worn out flat holster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
22 revolver

If you can find a Dan Wesson I think you would be pleased. Shot one yesterday and was very impressed. (6"bbl). The trigger was stock but very nice. I,m thinking about one for myself. Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hard to argue with the S&W 17 & 617, (I just got a 4" beauty in blue for $150.00 used), but in my mind the 22lr begs to be shot out of a a semi auto! I have an old Beretta 71 Jauguar, but my heavy barrel Ruger Mark II easily out shoots it....with a significant weight penalty. The Beretta is super light, built on an alloy frame...but is strictly a short range plinker with fixed sights. There are tons of accesories available for the Ruger MarkII & variants....which is nice. I also had a Herbert Schmidt convertible (22lr & 22 mag) & it was a fairly accurate gun for $100.00 (used) . A lot of fun with the magnum cylinder in place! (I hardly ever used the 22 lr cyl,) The Ruger single six in stainless will replace my old Herbert some day... Given your specs I would check out the Taurus 94 ! (or find a good used Smith)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts