11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shot this doe last year. was shooting 243 and 100gr cor-lokts

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nice pic.

Funny how there's so many guys that will look at you like you're crazy hunting deer sized animals with a .243.

Nowadays, folks think you have to have 7MM mag at the least to kill white tail....

When I was a boy, all I had was a .30 Carbine that my dad "liberated" after WWII.

I've all but forgotten how many large deer I killed with that rifle. Granted, I wasn't taking 300yd shots at them but it never failed to kill one either.

And oddly enough, I never recovered a bullet from one either. I used 110gr Remington-Peters soft points..... still have a couple boxes of them and the Carbine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bah humbug; the 243 is a satisfactory deer gun, but why go minimal? I use a standard caliber, even considered large by some... a 300win. It anchored five out of six deer I took this year, the fourth deer, an adult doe, did manage eighty yards. Shots varied from 20 yards to 440 yards. I also use a 30-30 on occasion, retired are the 30'06, and .270.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bah, Humbug.... Why use a miminal or maximum round (.300 Win.)..

I use a .270 with 130gr. handloads and all but one of my deer have been DRT except one that didn't know he was dead and walked about 10 steps and dropped..
Why be doubtful or get beat to death... LONG LIVE JACK O'CONNOR'S .270 WINCHESTER....

Dave

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey Dave.... My wife is from Bradenton!

Small world.

You shoot at Manatee?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts