6mm Rem.

Ole,

I am getting pretty good results with this bullet, in a VV N160 load, in my
6mm Rem. chambered Savage. I am not completely through load
development, but a number of groups came in .3 MOA, with as I recall,
3700 fps(+/- 20fps) 10' from the muzzle. I am waiting for a new MXX-123
scale, before I move ahead with load development, since I suspect a bit
of my group size can be attributed to a electronic scale that has having
an issue with consistency. I haven't gotten this bullet on coyotes yet.
I also have a 65 gr. Berger in load development, but I have yet to
fire the first groups. But accuracy wise, I am liking what I am seeing
with the 65 gr. Vmax.

Squeeze

#3 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean buy luck, accuracy, killing ability, speed...etc. Anyway, with my old beater, Rem 700 from a pawn shop in Utah, I can get 6 shots under 1". The load is Imr 3031, start at 36gr, sweet spot should be about 38.0. Primer is Rem 91/2, Winch brass, Laupa brass will schrink it down about another 1/4 inch, if you want to spend the money. For killing potential,
Sierra 60gr H.P. is a far better choice, IMO.
You can get additional 243 loads from, Dan Newberry's Optimal Weight Load
Development.com clk ocw load recipes. Hope this helps you.

Hank

#5 ·
I shot a bunch (2-3K) at PD's. They're OK, but the 87grn V-Max's out of 26" barrel M70 HBV are truly awesome! The lighter bullets work good at close ranges, say <300yrds, but the 87's will take you out to 500-600 and get the job done. Recoil is not all that much different. I use H380 Ball Powder and Federal Match Primers in Winchester Brass. Shoots cool and relative clean too.

#7 ·
Shoot them

In a 24" LW barreled savage using Varget and the 65 gn VMAX with excellent accuracy and a very wide accuracy node. Took 3 PD's off a mound at 635 yds(lasered) in four shots, with this combo. Heat doesn't bother it, haven't tried cold.

#8 · (Edited)
I tried the 65gr Vmax in my .243 (Sako AII heavy barreled varmint) with 48gr's H4350, but I then switched to the 70gr Nosler BT and changed to Varget. 42.7grs gives me 3454fps average out of my 24 inch barrel, but 5 shots went into 0.354. Of the 5 rounds that I shot over my chronograph I got the following readings:

Shot 1: 3463fps
Shot 2: 3463fps
Shot 3: 3454fps
Shot 4: 3445fps
Shot 5: 3445fps

I actually came across this load on Reloaders Nest, and the guy was using the 42.7gr's Varget with the 65gr Vmax. I worked up to this load and basically called it a day after shooting the above group size! Interestingly, the person who posted this load on Reloaders Nest got in excess of 3600fps from a 22 inch barrel, but I couldn't get near that in my rifle. Still I'm not complaining, I'd sooner the accuracy anyday and the velocity ... well Federal load their 70gr Nosler to 3400fps anyway, but please read on.

The forum editor of www.6mmbr.com ran a QuickLOAD Calc with Hodgdon Varget (ADI 2208), 24" barrel, bullets NOT touching lands, 2.630" Cartridge OAL (that puts .240 of bearing surface in the neck.)

42.7 gr Varget shows velocity of 3441 fps at 59,453 fps, a good "practical max" for that case.

Copy the link to my post into your browser, he also ran a QuickLOAD prediction for other powders.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/vpost?id=1619074

Regards,

Michael.

#10 ·
The Max with a 70 gr bullet is 42.0 consider yourself lucky.

I'm using less than 42 gr with a 26 inch barrel and get 3600 fps. Check those loads out carefully we'd like to have you around awhile longer.
Thankyou for your kind words.

However, do not worry this load is perfectly safe in my Sako, in fact the cases show absolutely no signs of excess pressure.

Regards,

Michael.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.