Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there shooting this cartridge? If so, what bullet thrower are you using? How do you like the cartridge? What do you use it for?

I've had a difficult time finding rifles chambered for this cartridge. Thanks for any comments.

V1

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
I shoot one but i've not loaded much for it.

Did kill 2 hogs in Tx. with it a few weeks ago. Shot one about 100yds. and it went all the way through just at the back of the shoulder, shot the other in the head looking my way and it just droped. the first one didn't go but about 4-5yrds. They were shot with factory 120gr.PEP[rem.] I believe that its going to make a real good deer round. Plan on loading for it as soon as I can. Its a win 70 shadow supreme[?]I think I got all that right. What are you shooting?

Donnie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Donnie: I have the same rifle in a synthetic stock. It is the Win 25 WSSM.
(Super Shadow) I shoot the factory Win 120 gr Pos Exp Point & is dynamite on feral hogs & deer. Shot 2 feral hogs 150 lb range and 2 white tail who were DRT. Have not loaded for the rifle yet. Was EXTREMELY accurate right out of the box at 100 yds and lobbed them in on top of one another. Did have a trigger job done on the rifle which helped alot. Would also be a good
yote rifle as is flat shooting. Like my 257 Weatherby magnum better but both
are fine rifles!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had one.

I had one for over a year and I can say to you; RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!! After trying every trick in the book to make that miserable vienna sausage cartridge shoot, I was ready to wrap the barrel around a fence post. Lost 200 bucks on the rifle just to get rid of it. Gives me the hee bee gee bees just thinking about it. Get a 25.06 it does the same thing only better. I have now had two really bad short fat magnums and two good short fat magnums. I will quit while I have the good ones in my possession. Now my friend here on the board Clint, has the same rifle in .243 wssm and has had great luck with it. Puzzleing...... I have had others tell me as well that that is one of the finickiest cartridges to reload. I have no idea why. But you asked so I gave you my .10 cents worth. If you want more of the sad story P.M. me.....T

·
Registered
351 Posts
I big question is after the WSSMs die off...

and the factory ammo and brass is no longer available, what will you be able to do with your WSSM action? Seriously. I know the Winchester versions were not standard short actions or standard long actions. So could they be modified to fire "standard" rounds? Economically? I'm not sure.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.