Varmint Hunters Forum banner

250/3000 savage

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  reiver 
#1 ·
howdy, new round here. thinkinging of getting a rifle in 250 savage. yeah i know it is an older caliber but just want one prob eventually in ackley imp. prob is they are few and far between. most i have found 3 in a yrs time are really more in the collectable status. lots of savage 99s but wanting a bolt rifle. choices have narrowed down t getting an action and rebbling. ran across a rem700 in 243 captured mag syn stock for 300 seems a good deal. anybody have any experience w/ 250 savage? where could i buy just a short action for pos cheaper? thanks

#2 ·
I did the opposite, built a 250AI first, wait'n on a 250 barrel now.

I build 90% of my sporter / varmint guns on Savages actions. If you can pick up a Savage 1x in 22-250,243,7-08 or 308, all you'll need to do is swap the barrel, everything else will work AS-IS. The other option, a Stevens 200 SA in one the of same calibers. Then just order a barrel from whoever, Shaw is the cheapest or you can go Pac-Nor, SSS(Douglas) or Shilen to name a few. Barrels run $150 range to $300 or so,just depends how much you want to spend and its use.

Bill

#3 · (Edited)
Remington Model 7 Manlicher in .250 in 2007 catalogue,,,,

I noticed this upon reading the new 2007 Remington catalogue picked up for me by a friend that went to the Orlando SHOT SHOW a few weeks ago. That particular rifle is a custom shop deal,,and then you get a factory barrel so your way of building one is probably better.
I have three Ruger 77s in .250 Savage,,,one an Ackley Improved. Two are factroy guns with about 2" grouping at 100 yards [Ruger~!].
Mine is a Ruger Mark II 77 origionally in .308 Win. I have purchased Shilen, and lately PacNor Match Stainless barrel blanks, and I can only say that "custom" barrels are worth every penny. The Shilen that I used for my 250SAI is chrome moly, but a friend offered it for $75 so I grabbed it. It was almost a full contour [cylinder almost] and I and my lathe became close buddies for the time it took to turn it down to about a #4 contour.
So IF you buy an aftermarket barrel,,but SURE to buy it in the contour you want,,or close to it. The few dollars a barrel maker charges to contour is WORTH IT for you or whoever fits it.
The .250 Savage is one of those cartridges like the .358 Winchester,,,great rounds that just didn't have enough "flash" to survive today's hot rod market. The Ackley version is what I "had to" have after reading most of P. O. Ackleys books.
By the way, this Shilen barreled Ruger will easily do 3/8" @ 100 with Nosler Ballistic Tips!! I do have a box of Barnes 100 gr Triple Shocks ready to load,,,,gonna try to go "unleaded".
Alan in GA

#4 ·
The low cost option is a short Savage action and a barrel from SSS. You can install the barrel, or send it to Fred and he will do it.

I ran across a Savage Super Sporter Model 45 in .250-3000 a couple of years ago.

#5 ·
I've got a M99R and an early tang safety Ruger in .250 Savage. Because of it's slow twist barrel, the M99 only gets 75 and 87 grain bullets. I use 87 grain Speer Hot Core bullet for deer with 36 gr. RL-15. The Ruger on the other hand is a whole nother matter. This one came to me used with a Timney trigger, and shoots like a house afire. My son found it at an out of the way gunshop in southwest Missouri, the guy was selling a collection for the estate of a friend. I gave $400 and have really been happy with it. Much easier on the ears than my .243(yes I use ear protection except when hunting), and I believe puts deer down more decisively. My son is currently looking for a donor to rebarrel so he can have a 250.

#6 ·
That round is for old-timers....

and completely outdated....that is why I have about 5 of them, and is always my go-to round...:D One of them is even a ru-ru-ruger (old style, tang safety) that shoots itty-bitty groups. The twin grandsons each have rem 700 classics in 250/3000 and the wife's target rifle is a rem 700 action, shilen barreled 250/3000. She cleaned the board in a round at the LSSO 2-3 years ago with it. For hunting use the Sierra 90 grain HPBT Gameking. They work great. My old Savage 99 250/3000 is a "fun" gun to hunt with.

#7 ·
You guys have helped me make a difficult decision - what caliber for my grandson's first centerfire rifle! I was considering the .250 anyway, and this discussion cinched it. I'll have to get busy and find a short action Savage and then get a barrel.

Actually I have plenty of time, coz the little tyke hasn't been born yet!

#9 ·
Well.....

Tell the kids to hurry up and quit practicing. ;) You NEED those grandkids to keep your hunting skills sharp. And those grandkids are YOUR reward for not killing your kids when they were young...:D :D :D

#8 ·
well i grew up reading jack o'conner's books on rifles and hunting back in the 50/60s so guess i am an ole timer:D
where in the 2007 rem catalog was the custom shop? i have a 07 cat and just looked thrugh it and no mention of custom shop or m7 mannlicher. thught bout a 722 but unless it is an action i hesitate to customize an older rifle as they no longer make them although i d like the lines of the 722.

#10 ·
Well that brings up a can o worms so to speak. I told the wife that Ruger 250 was for the Granddaughter just before she was born. Ella just turned 2, so maybe I get to use it for a while yet. Now she's got a little brother so Papaw better get buisy finding a couple more of them!

#13 ·
I looked for a bolt-action .250 for YEARS. Never found one. That's how I came to build a Rem 788 in .25-308. It has the same case capacity as the .250AI but with MUCH easier to find brass. I started with 7-08 cases mostly, but that was before the .260 came out. (I choose not to use .243 brass because of the danger of a .25-308 round possibly finding its way into a .243 rifle due to the headstamp.)

The 788 won't handle hot loads, but I get 3400 to 3450 fps with a 75VMax - and that drops a coyote in two halves with a spine hit. It red mists rock chucks.

The .25-308 is also known as the .25 Souper (probably because it "soups" chucks!) and both reamers and dies are available.

#15 ·
went to pem website and after diggin fune the custom shop and the m7 mannlicher. figuring bout 500 off of msrp i can still build one for cheaper. sides i want a little longer bbl. speaking of which i see there is some disagreement over shilen had been thinking f using one them. any other reccomendations?
also how much more recoil from 250AI than regular 250?
prob go w/ heavy sporter as it will be used for carrying round than just sitting.
bout talked myself into the m700 for $300 in 243, can still shoot it until i get it rebbld. it is one w/ no detachable mag. that good price? or is that close to normal market price?

#16 ·
well now after loking at some posts on the 'do you use your safety' post am wondering but the rem700. several talking about the safety causeing the rifle to fire when engaged??? was this specific to certain model/yrs of manufacture? have a mauser action i bought from herters yrs ago and never had it fire due to safety engagement. havn't heard bout this p[roblem w/ remingtons B4
whats up w/ this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.