Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new rifle in 257 Roberts. All I can find are Ruger and Thompson Center that are making this caliber. Does anyone know of any other companys. Not that Ruger and TC are not good rifles, I just like more to chose from. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Cooper is the only other regular company chambering the Bob, that I can recall offhand. You can check around the auction sights for the XTR M70 FWTs, or the Remington Classics, there should be enough of them around, still in good condition (though the price on the M70s will be scary high). You also might check Browning, I think they did some A Bolts in Roberts, too. The Roberts is a fine cartridge, but the last few years have been unkind to it. As an alternative, you could probably build a nice Roberts on the action of your choice for less money than the Winchesters I mentioned. I didn't even know T/C was chambering for the Roberts, I thought Ruger was the last one.
OOOPs! I forgot, last year at Whittaker's, the big gunshop in Owensboro KY, I saw some ADL synthetics in Roberts, done up for a wholesaler as a special run, you might check for one of those, too. Matte finished typical plastic stocked ADL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
me too

Hey 7TCU,

I too have a fascination with the 257 Roberts, borderline obsession. It is just a “romantic” round to me. Much like my beloved 9.3X62 and 16GA.

I have a Lothar Walther .257 barrel that has been sitting unused for years waiting for the right action and $$$$ to be assembled. I initially was going to go the Mauser route, but having done this once, it is an expensive and labor intensive chore (bolt replacement, action ground, trigger replaced, bottom metal replaced, safety conversion ect.) I started leaning towards commercial actions like the Mark X or Zastava (sp). I love CZ’s and have considered the 550. The problem seems to be that the 257 isn’t quite a short action round and a 30’06 action is longer (heavier) than necessary. I am starting to consider going with the 25’06 and using mild/starting loads to avoid muzzleblast and excessive barrel wear. I could always load it up if I needed the extra velocity.

Summed up, it seems like the 257 Roberts is much like the 16 GA and I haven’t found the right platform for it (a G33 or Mexican Mauser would be perfect). My model 37 Ithaca is a perfect fit for the 16. A 12 gauge framed shotgun used for a 16 defeats the 16’s advantages. Good luck

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
A Winchester Model 70,,,,$325

is in the Classifieds here. Blued/synthetic in .30-06. New rifle, perfect base for a high quality barrel .257.
IF you've never spent a few hundred bucks on an aftermarket barrel,,now is the time. I think you may want to go 'long action' if you want any of the heavier longer bullets seated out. Nothing wrong with 'roomyness' in the loading ramp area, and it doesn't make sense to cramp powder and bullets trying to get clearance in a short action. If you have ever wanted an Ackley Improved,,this is on track, too.
Just a suggestion.
Alan in GA

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
serial numbers different,,

Nice suggestion, curious as to why it is new but the bolt doesn't match the receiver????

The Wins sure are going high now.

I don't know why,,Bruce H can tell.
I would request the bolt lugs be 'trued' during the rebarreling, something many do anyway even with matching bolt,,but surely recommended for this one to be sure. Then you should be better than 'origional' factory lug engagment.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree on the long action route, it comes in handy when you want to shoot 117-120's and even some 100's.

You mentioned maybe using a Mexican Mauser, but be aware that you will have to load considerably colder, and not enjoy the cartridges full potential. I would advise a stronger, modern Remington, Ruger, or Winchester action.

There was a NIB Rem 700 classic for sale on GunsAmerica a month ago for $900 or offer. I know that sounds high, but few exist, today.

You think that would tell the gun manufacturers there is demand?:rolleyes:

I wonder if they have anyone watching the used gun market to see trends and evaluate demand. Probaby not. At least I see no evidence of it.

Good luck on your quest for a grand old cartridge. I love mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a M70 FW 257 Roberts. It's a fantastic shooter with 100 gr. flat base bullets and H4350, but won't shoot boat tail bullets worth a hoot. The M70 action is the prefect length for this round.

John in Oregon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I

You mentioned maybe using a Mexican Mauser, but be aware that you will have to load considerably colder, and not enjoy the cartridges full potential. I would advise a stronger, modern Remington, Ruger, or Winchester action.
I know that the Mexican Actions are a small ring, but have read that it is a strong action like its big brother the C-ring 98. This is only what I have heard.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good question

I've got a NIB Rem Stainless Synthetic Classic in 257 that I was going to put on Gunbroker. It was a special uncateloged run about 5 years ago. I've seen the original Classic(walnut stock) go for crazy money on Gunbroker and saw one of the laminate stainless versions go for 1,000.00 on a buy it now. :eek: I just figured that someone had more money than sense. I'll run it up the flagpole on the main board as see what the general conscensus is

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
My son and I have two M77 MKII in .257. Mine is on the way back from the smith with a new barrel now. Both would group 75 hp Sierra's in 3/4", but this one wasn't consistant enough to suit me with the 100 and 115 deer loads. His will do an inch with the 115 Partitions and H4350. They are great rifles for deer and varmints!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply's I will most likely get a Ruger Hawkeye. I want something new off the shelf. I plan on only using the lighter bullets in it as I already have a 25/06, I just don't have a Roberts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
257 Roberts

I have the 257 Roberts in a Ruger 77 and a Winchester M70 featherweight and enjoy the both of them. I really like the winchester a little better . I am like Glenn , I did not know T/C had one in that caliber. I am not sure what I am loading in it but I can look in my notes and see. You will enjoy what it does. I even have a 25-06 and the 257 Roberts stayes right with it.
Hope you find what you want.

Pigpen
________
vaporgenie vaporizer

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have gone both routes - Mauser and S/A

I built a 257 on a 95 mouser and it wasn't what I wanted. Heavy and the loading had to be really low pressure. I bought a Browning A-Bolt S/A - because one was available in 257. I don't feel handicapped, with heavier bullets, by the S/A as much as by the 1:10 twist barrel. Needs faster spin to stabilize the 120gr Parts.
There is nothing wrong with the Ruger - a friend has one and it shoots veddy well.
Good Luck and enjoy the search process!
george

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.