Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear a run down on the 257 Roberts. I don't have any 25 cal bores in my safe, also this will be from a 18" barrel. Ruger must ahve done a run in the mannlicher in 257 roberts this year, or last, and in stainless to boot.... I'm a sucker for a Mannlicher LOL

Clint

·
Registered
256 Posts
Have 3 bases on Remington 700 actions. 2 customs & a classic in a Borden stock. The Lewis 257 is my main using rifle. They are great Deer rifles, the only varmints we have in Ga. are bobcats & coytes so I assume they will do them also. I use 117/120 bullets & h4350. They have little recoil & adequate power for anything around here except for a sure body shot on a really big hog but are accurate enough for a head shot.

If the Ruger had a laminated stock rather than wood I'd buy 1.

·
Registered
452 Posts
257Roberts

I would love to hear a run down on the 257 Roberts. I don't have any 25 cal bores in my safe, also this will be from a 18" barrel. Ruger must ahve done a run in the mannlicher in 257 roberts this year, or last, and in stainless to boot.... I'm a sucker for a Mannlicher LOL

Clint
I have 2 of them in Ruger 77 and a winchester 70 and love the caliber .
It will run along with the 2506 to me.
________
iolite portable vaporizer

·
Registered
411 Posts
mine ain't no mannlicher but she is a cutey!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Clint
afternoon ,
have a ruger 77RL in .257 bob . love it . 100gr ballistic tips over a stout charge of RL 19 and whitetails have no chance .

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
257 Roberts notes

Clint, I like the round. And I believe it is still largely unpopular due to the following.
1. Factory ammo is loaded very light, to protect against liability when a user is shooting a 50 year old action, or Mexican mauser. Prospective buyers look at the ballistic charts, and write-off the Roberts as being a "round with rainbow-ballistics".

2. Very limited new offerings from gun manufacturers.

BUT, for a handloader, who finds a modern actioned Remington 700, or Ruger, or Winchester....what a nice surprise you have in store! Accurate, versatile, fast, and flat-shooting are words you dont usually hear attached to the grand old 257 Roberts, but get used to them. The round comes into a new dimension that few know about with the advent of new powders, bullets, strong actions, and "Plus P" (plus pressure rated) brass.

Ive talked on the phone with Speer engineering technician Dan Imthurn at length about reloading the Bob. He, and another engineer, forgot his name both told me that the 50,000 CUP that they loaded to for their manual is conservative. They said that the new Plus+P brass is every bit as strong as the 6MM Remington (basically same case, w/smaller bore size and shoulder angle). They load the 6MM Remington to 52,000 CUP. But because they fear some of the older actions are still in use, they err on the side of caution.

I am not advocating you go way over the top of what the manuals recommend, but only that their data is easily acheivable.

In fact, after buying mine, a few people recommended I ream the chamber to Ackley dimensions. I almost did it, but spent a month working with new loads, trying many powders and bullets. In the end, the loads I settled on (which are not smokin' hot, btw) were only 100 or 150 fps slower than the Ackley versions in the 115 to 120 class bullets. And with light bullets, which represent 95% of my shooting with that gun, there was virtually NO difference in speed. Not worth the trouble for my intended use, which is for a windy-day coyote rifle good on the open ground to 500 yds.

With 70 and 75 grain bullets, I ran up to 3870 fps, and backed down to a good moderate load using W748 at 3600 fps.

With 85 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips, using either H4350 or R-19, 3400 is a good accuracy node.

With 90's W-760 is handy at 3300 fps. 100 grainers at 3200 fps work will atop 46 grains of H 4350..and are VERY accurate. 3 shot groups in the .3" range are common from my factory sporter barreled Rem 700.

The 115's and W760 go about 2850, and should handle any deer, antelope, or pig within 250 or so yards.

In summary, the Roberts went from the MOST popular deer round in the 50's, to the least in the 70's, and rightfully so, as the Weatherby, the 243 and 6mm all shot faster in the "light deer rifle" class, and all became more popular. But few (if any) of the "old-school" rounds are more improved by modern hand loading techniques.... than the 257 Roberts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only one problem with the Roberts...

...the rest of the guns in the safe get neglected. O.K. that is a little bit of a stretch - BUT NOT MUCH! I've only got two, an old mouser that has been rebarreled and a Browning A-Bolt that I've had since 1984. The A-Bolt has been everywhere from P/D towns to elk camp and has served well in all capacities. It is getting fitted for a new stock (claro 2X) right now.
Load 75gr V-Max for small targets and 120 Partitions for everything else.
Enjoy the little Ruger!
george

·
Registered
233 Posts
Clint
I have 2 Roberts. One is a Ruger 77 and the other was built on an 1896 Swedish Mauser action. Both are used primarily for deer and the occassional feral hog here in Florida. The round is fairly efficient and easy to load. Both rifles are accurate and have performed well in this caliber. I have a Winchester in 25-06 as well, but prefer the Roberts for what I hunt.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
My wife has hunted with a .257 Roberts, Remington 722b, for about 28 years or so, everything she shot with it fell over dead. Great rifle for pronghorn and deer, plus you can load up coyote loads and also for rock chucks, prairie dogs, etc. You'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I used a well worn Pre64 Model 70 in 257R ...

for Pdogs for a few years until I got talked out of it . 90 gr. Sierra HPBT with H414 prduced lots of Air Time . You would not believe the Scope I used in those days : it was a Weaver K6 with Horizontal Wire and POST !

·
Registered
458 Posts
I only have one

It's a 722 don't shoot it much but when I do the 75 gr V-max is outstanding.
Going to work up a deer load before late doe season and try it on them.
EricT

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments !! Sounds like the cartridge is a winner for sure !! I just wonder how much velocity loss the 18" barrel will have

I have a remington mtn rifle in LSS in 260, these two cartridges are neck in neck close to the same, the 260 is loaded to 60,000 psi, which I'm sure the 257 roberts could be as well with good brass and a modern action

I emailed the seller, price is kind of high for a Ruger $729 shipped to my door, however it has nice wood, the stainless is worth a good $50 extra easy (I like stainless)

Still thinking on it.. I just happen to have a NIB Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 as well... would sit nice on top of this rifle

Clint

·
Registered
945 Posts
Remington 722 Bob

Shoots so well with Speer 75 grain hollow points have never tried any other bullet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
257 R - Sweetest of them all

I have one that I love! Not the wickedest, meanest, or baddest but a Princess without compare!

Bought her in the late 80s new in box - Rem 700 Mtn Rifle.
I have a lot of others - but this one is by far my favorite.

It's been babied too - still looks (almost) like new. NO scratches, one very minor dent in the wood, but the bolt handle is starting to get a patina to it. I now store "her" in one of those silicone sock things. Wish I had of started that long ago - if it helps.

Jay

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Putnam

The patina your talking about on the bolt, is it a purple/brown color.. I have seen it as well, I had a rm bdl that done it withen teh first year, a early 90's, maybe late 80's model... I purchased same setup in in late 90's and the bolt never did turn that color.. I wonder if it's the way they were blued, treated, type of steel used ?

Clint

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a Ruger 77 and love mine, shoot mostly groundhogs with it, I use the Nosler 85gr BT behind H414, I have also used that same powder with the 100gr Speer HP, rifle will hold roughly 3/4"@100 not the one holer that most of us desire but its nothing that a groundhog within 300yds has been able to walk away from.
________
hot box vape

1 - 16 of 16 Posts