Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
One heck of a round. More powerful than a 25-06 and about like a 25-06 AI. All of the factory rifles are usually Wheatherby and have lots of lead in the throat, which does not help accuracy, but nonetheless shoot good enough for big game. The reloader can usually never reach the velocities of Wby factory ammo because of their double and sometimes triple propellent mixing.

I have a 257 Wby built on a Win M70 with a 28" fluted Krieger barrel chambered to SAAMI specs (standard Wby throat) and it shoots VERY well. Five shots inside approx. 5/8" at 100yrds. I've never worked up a load using the Nosler 100grn BT's. Forgot the powder but probably R22, Fed 210M primers.

People are just now starting to discover, or at least the general populace (me included) that the Wby case design with that double radius shoulder was ahead of its time. The shoulder does more for performance than what was once thought. Initially, this design was thought to prevent other wildcatters from duplicating Wheatherby design since cutting double radius shoulder reamers back at the time was most difficult. But recently, more attention seems to be directed toward proper case shoulder angle and its effect on pressure curvator (result of propellent ignition rate vs. effects from Primer Brisance). (Darn what a mouth full) Anywho... Roy Wheatherby may have understood more about this effect than most others in his time, and therefore, the real reason behind the infamous Wby Double Radius Shoulder was to improve performance more than copycatters.

Of course I'm NOT a Ballistician, but really did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. :D

Bottom line- if it's a nice rifle, go for it! The 257Wby shoots like a laser and hits hard. One of the very best factory cartridges offered for Plains Game, and makes a fun looong range Varmint Gett'r.

Just curious, what are the specific of the rifle you're looking at; make, barrel weight length, etc. ??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....

Like many other project, this did not start as a well planned idea, but rather outta the blue. A friend a the range came up tome and wanted to know if I was interested in some new WBY casings (he knew I had a few WBYs). Sure, and he pulled out 40 NIB .257 WBY casings in the box.

It got my interest and I'm thinking of building one on a Stiller action. I already have a 240 WBY in the works now, but the .257 looks neat too. I bet it would lift a rock chuck up pretty good.

I spent some time learning about it on line, and right in line with what you said, it looks like a neat, time forgotten round.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. I will have to think on this for a while.

s.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Steve,that brass is gonna cost

you about $50/$60 EACH before you're done!!!!hmm..gotta have an action,barrel,stock,scope and mount,dies,bullets..........just because some dude gave you some brass!!:D
I have NEVER done anything like that!;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what makes it fun!

I feel that it is my moral duty to put these few pieces of brass to good use. I believe that they will need some friends, so I will have to buy another few hundred casings just to start!

I think it could be a neat project.

s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Shot a beautifull blond colored factory .257 years ago, if my buddy would have sold it to me I would own it now, had very light recoil and grouped great for a light weight hunting rifle.

·
Registered
720 Posts
257 wby

Having a few pieces of brass is a perfectly good reason to build or buy a rifle.
I have a 257 wby built on an older Sako action, mcmillan stock, & Shilen
26.5" stainless barrel.
I suppose I have 200 rounds through it. It is easy an inch gun with several loads. I also shoot a 25-06 some, but a lot less since I got the weatherby.
Have shot a number of antelope at long range (250-450 yaers) & one coyote at a range you won't believe so I won't even say.
Mine does not have the long leade like factory weatherbys, so I have to back off slightly from some published loads, or I get some serious pressure issues.
I think it is a fantastic open country round.

·
Registered
240 Posts
3 groove Lilja 27", Rem 700, RL22 100gr bullets at 3800. Have to use PMC brass if you can find it, the W brass is too soft and blows out the primer pocket in a few loads. I have a tight neck reamer, .285, and the loaded PMC is .280. I had the leade shortened too for 100 gr bullets, sweet............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.