Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been into reloading for about 12 years and like to reload for my hunting hobbies. I like to go varmint hunting and I got my dad interested also. However, he does not have a popular varmint caliber. He just recently bought a .270 win. So I went to work. I load Barnes bullets if at all possible. The hard part was finding a varmint bullet in .270 caliber. I found the bullet, Barnes MPG (multi purpose green) frangible bullet just like the varmint grenade. Basically the same bullet just for different callibers. Why is this? Also, this bullet is 85gr and i have it traveling about 3600fps. Is this rediculous? I also thought about loading the same bullet in my .270 Weatherby Mag which would yield about 3920fps. The .220 swift can achieve this speed but with 36-50gr bullets, the 22-250 does the same. Is it unnecessary for me to do this? My reason for trying out these is for extreme long distance varmint hunting. I feel that having the heavier bullet, the velocity at longer distance would remain more constant because of momentum and also to have the "knock-down" when it gets there. The 85gr bullets in the .270 have proved extremely accurate. I shot a coyote at 200yds on the run and rolled him up. Any ideas or comments?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've had a lot of the Barnes VG bullets given to me and I've yet to find a rifle that will shoot one. If 1 1/2" group at 100 yds is good enough then they might work for you. I've tried other brands of lead free bullets from rifle to pistol and none have produced any accuracy worth talking about. If the hides are meaningless to you and killing the coyote is all that matters, the Sierra 90gr HP loaded at 3500'ps is pure poison at 300 yds. Can't say with the Weatherby as I haven't tried it but my common Remmy ADL will stack the Sierra match quality tight at 300 yds. I use IMR4064 under it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have used 90 grain Speer TNTs in a 270 for P-Dogs. Rifle was my father in law's pre 64 M70. Gun would put 5 shots under 3/4 inch with the bullets at 3400 fps.

As compared to a 223 or 22-250 there was enough recoil you couldn't see your hits unless the gun was set up on a bench system and you were shooting at longer range. But the only other caliber to give P-Dogs as much air time was a 308 loaded with the Speer 130 grain HP.

Nothing wrong shooting a lighter bullet in a hunting gun to use them on varmints.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought it would be cool. When I tell the average person that I have 85gr bullets for our .270's they ask where I bought them. Reloading is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I just thought it would be cool. When I tell the average person that I have 85gr bullets for our .270's they ask where I bought them. Reloading is a lot of fun.
Most reload to be able to shoot more. Eventually people shoot so they can reload (experiment) more! Reloading becomes a hobby within the hobby, opening a wide scope of shooting opportunities!

BTW, I shoot an 85 gn BT in a 25-06 at 3600 fps, which is pretty close to what you're describing. Awesome on yotes!

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Pretty darned impressive on Prairie Dogs too! :D

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Pretty darned impressive on Prairie Dogs too! :D
A skunk, hit head-on with a 90 gn BTHP Sierra (25-06) just under 100 yards left nothing but some black and white patches of fur and some smelly salsa scattered over a wide area. I imagine the 270 (being close in size) would be at least as impressive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts