Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of using my short mag, for varmits. useing 90 gr. sierra's for coyotes, ect, all reply's appr. be nice.. i know the smaller, faster, cartriges are the best med. but i want to test the water before commiting to a new small bore. i havn't really decided which cal. i want to build on yet but i want to get started. i am a new member.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Welcome the board, Jeepster!......

I have shot many varmints with a regular 270 shooting 59g of AA2700 with the Sierra 90g HP. The largest holes that I have shot in coyotes has been with this cartridge and bullet. I was thinking about the 270 Short Mag with the 90's myself and I know that it would make a great calling gun for sure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Why not?

When a buddy and I started shootin prairie dogs we took out a couple of 22lr and our deer rifles.He used a 270win that first year and I used my 7mag,243 sporter and an SKS........We had a blast and its ben all downhill since then!!!!
The next year we added a couple of 223s.Seams we add a different gun and/or round every year.
Another guy I've had the pleasure of shooting a lot with sleeps with a 300Weatherby loaded with 180 grain Berger's.He also has a few other guns but if it NEEDS killin he always has the 300 handy.
The 270WSM might tear up the hides but thats what I always liked about using the 160grain partition in the 7mag=no skinning required.By using my big game load I found my field shooting was better to boot???Something about one gun-one load makes a lot of sense when you don't have a lot of time to set up the shot!!
If it where me I'd develop a good big game load and hunt with it?Not sure going lower with the bullet weights will give you a very good idea of what to buy next.

·
Registered
405 Posts
A 243 should work just fine

Something in a 243 should work out just fine for most varmints. If your into high volume shooting, a 22-250 or 223 would probably work out better. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agreed

When a buddy and I started shootin prairie dogs we took out a couple of 22lr and our deer rifles.He used a 270win that first year and I used my 7mag,243 sporter and an SKS........We had a blast and its ben all downhill since then!!!!
If it where me I'd develop a good big game load and hunt with it?Not sure going lower with the bullet weights will give you a very good idea of what to buy next.
The only thing I would add to that is the best gun in the world is the one you are holding at the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts