Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In my opinion 280 Remington is an ideal cartridge for hunting in the lower 48. I have a Rem 700 mountain rifle that I bought from my best friends dad 7 or 8 years ago and have put alot of meat in my freezer with it.

Yesterday morning I killed my 4th elk with the rifle. Easy 80 yards shot through the timber dropped her where she was standing, plowing a 160gr bonded soft point through her shoulder and out the last rib taking out heart lungs and liver on its way though.

I have thought several times about having it reamed out to 280AI but just cant argue with the effectiveness, it's pushing a 160gr bullet to 2795fps from a 22" barrel.

I had a fairly short pack out with this girl so I loaded heavy to get it over with. First load back to the truck was all the trim meat, backstraps, and tenderloins in my back pack. Second and third loads were a front and rear quarter after I got my pack frame. When I got home I weighed the frame and two quarters.....91 pounds. That's about max capacity for the frame I think I could handle a little more weight 馃槣

Reactions: george in KY

Registered
Great Hunt buddy, some more freezer space needed I think? Or I would guess you are going to can a bunch of it.

As for the rifle, I would say leave it alone. It's got the job done, and with the short barrel most of the improvement would probably go out the muzzle anyway.

That's too much weight for me to pack out, and you are going to have help very soon anyway.
I am so glad you are in Wyoming and not knocking around in the flatlands of Michigan. Great place to raise little Mountain Men

Reactions: dk17hmr

Registered
A YOUNG man's story packing out. I enjoyed your success. My opinion on the choice of chamber would about mirror yours except shorter....... .284. :p
I agree w JR. As much as I like AI chambers, a hunting rig w a handy 20-22" bbl that cuts the mustard on the game needs no tinkering.

Reactions: dk17hmr

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
A YOUNG man's story packing out. I enjoyed your success. My opinion on the choice of chamber would about mirror yours except shorter....... .284. :p
I agree w JR. As much as I like AI chambers, a hunting rig w a handy 20-22" bbl that cuts the mustard on the game needs no tinkering.
I have a 284 as well. Mine was my grandfathers and is a Winchester 88 lever action, I dont hunt with it or shoot it very often, I like bullets on the heavier side and that rifles magazine doesn't agree.

Registered
Way to go Doug! My son that's just north of you in Idaho uses a plastic sled to haul critters out, when there is snow! Less trips and easier on the old back too!
Enjoy the elk, I've not gone looking for mine yet, have till the last of Feb. on a private land tag.
GOD BLESS. Dean

Administrator
Nice Doug. I have my dad's mtn rifle. It loves 140 partitions and 154 hornady interlocks. Would be a great carry rifle if I lived out west. Someday I might take a sheep with it. if i ever get lucky and draw a tag. i guess you have to put in for it first though

Registered
Seems like every time I look at the iPad today, someone has an animal on the ground. Way to go Doug. Fine-looking elk and rifle too.

Registered
I have a very small collection of each cartridge. A 280 Remington in a Cooper Model 52 and a Ruger #1 Tropical fill out the standard cartridge part of it, and a Nosler Liberty in 280AI fills the rest. For the most part, both cartridges are equally effective as hunting cartridges. Ballistic statistics vary a bit between the two, but statistics dont kill a lot of big game. Well aimed good bullets do. I just happen to like the looks of the AI cartridge more, but of the three rifles, I like the Cooper rifle the best. Second comes the Nosler and third in my mind is the Ruger #1 (its a bit light and stout on recoil in comparison to the other two.).

All that said, my far older Ruger tang safety Model 77 bolt action in 284 Winchester is hard to beat when its time to go looking for mulie bucks in the Black Hills.

Just my preferences. I could go on about choices that I like having available, but since this is about the 280 and the other cartridges mentioned, I'll quit there.

btw - She looks tasty. Good job..!!

Registered
Great job Doug, great rifle too. A buddy of mine has the same rifle, I glass bedded it and went thru the trigger on it, he has killed several whitetails here in KY with it.

Premium Member
Some good hunting going on out there. No way I'd have time for that...I still have 2 doe tags I can fill but not sure I'd even have the freezer space.
Thats a nice looking rifle there too!

Registered
Nice job dk. My 280 mountain rifle has dropped a number of elk. Great cartridge.
I noticed your tag info. Just filled my type 6 Friday night.+
wolf.jpg I had this guy watching me for over two hours while I was breaking her down.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Nice job dk. My 280 mountain rifle has dropped a number of elk. Great cartridge.
I noticed your tag info. Just filled my type 6 Friday night.+
View attachment 25614 I had this guy watching me for over two hours while I was breaking her down.
Which Unit were you in? I still have a couple tags left. Debating on if I want to actively pursue filling them or just fairweather hunt. 1/2 a bear, 3 deer, 3 antelope, and this elk have our freezers at capacity. But it's never hard to give away elk meat.

Administrator
Doug, you inspired me to dig out Dad's old 280 and get it ready for bear. Headed up state this weekend to the big woods. Might put a lot of miles on the shoe leather. Might as well carry the right rifle for it. I even have ammo loaded and ready! I think I'll head out here at lunch to do a quick zero check, despite the wind.

Sighted in the 280 and Mom's 7-08. Despite the target flapping constantly in this 25 mph wind (it's on a wire fence at our club) I held about 1-1/2" with both. More or less dead on. Good enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts