Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This combo has been next to impossible to find some data for. I contacted Berger and they were kind enough to make a few suggestions based on the Quickload program, but they did not have any actual data on hand. Any input of good starting points would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
An Old High Power load

for short range competition with a M1 Garand was a Sierra 125 SPT with 51-53gr IMR4064 or 50-52gr of IMR4895. This might get you in the ballpark, with the usual precautions to start low and work up for your rifle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just worked up some light bullet loads for a 300win , the 125 BT , 125TNT and 135 Berger , the bergers shot the best , I assume because it was easier to get them close to the lands. In the 300 IMR-4064 worked the best and might work well in the 06. I personaly have never seen a 30-06 that woulden't shoot 4350 well with all bullet weights. I'm not 100% but I don't think that you could get enough 4350 in an 06 case with the 130 clas bullet to cause pressure troubles , my 150gr load is pretty compressed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hodgdon Annual Manual Copyrighted 2002

Has listings for 125gr and 130gr bullets. Powders listed are

H414
Varget
BL-C(2)
H335
H4895
Benchmark

If you are interested in any of these powders then let me know and I will list load data for that powder(s)?

DB

·
Registered
826 Posts
Tackdriver, about a month ago, I worked up a load.....

for a Rem 700 with 58.0g of R#22 with the Sierra 135g Single shot pistol bullet, fed 210, bullet touching lands, and they shot a single ragged hole with this load. Rifle was pillar bedded, wood stock, 2 lb trigger, barrel free floated. This bullet and load really flattens white tails...they don't run off when shot!

You would have to tinker with the load a little on your rifle.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
For Sierra 125 gr spitzers....

... I load 59.5 gr IMR-4350 in Win cases with Win primers. They shoot less than an MOA at both 100 and 200 yds. Book says about 3000 fps. As said above, slightly compressed. These are sorta stout, you will obviously want to work up to it. This is in a Savage BVSS 112 30-06.

In and out on muley buck, clean rib break and lungs gone; albeit at 75 yds. Bergers may have more bearing surface? Not familiar with them. But, a good load for deer, et al.
-West

·
Registered
826 Posts
WestDivide, that is some real good information .......

on the 125g Sierra! The 135g Single shot pistol bullet usually does not exit, but then again, the deer just fall over. Since they no longer make that bullet, the 125g Sierra is on the "go to" list.

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can't help you much from a 30-06 perspective but I can assure you the 135 Bergers will shoot like a laser. I use them in my 308 with a stiff dose of varget with great results. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts