Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good gun for Coyotes,thats all I have for now except 12 ga.shot gun.Never hunted Coyotes before, I have to learn how to call them in first I figure that will be hard to do.I bought a call to day supose to call Coyotes in and sound like wounded pup and dieing Rabbit.I would like to leard how to do this.I am a Rabbit hunter and when it comes time to run my Beagles the Coyotes have wiped out most of the Rabbits.I belive thear lots Bob cats around also.I do hear Coyotes at night howling also.Is night a good time to spot them also?
thank youi Mike Owens

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey if your not hunting them for their fur your 06 will sure do the job..I f you hand load a Nosler 125 Ballistic tip or a 110gr Hornady V-Max will sure make a mess of them..For your question about hunting Yote's at night some of my best yote/Bobcat shooting has been with a spotlight.Check the local laws on use of artificial light and good hunting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A friend of mine shot a coyote with 7mm STW 140 gn Barnes X bullet. The bullet never opened up and ricocheted on the far side of the dog. The dog dropped in place. The damage was minimal. The bullet just left a small hole where the bullet entered and one about the same size where it exited.

An '06 loaded with something other than the explosive type might not be as bad as you think. It will at least get you started.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Several years back I loaded alot of 06 ammo for groundhogs. The litest bullet I found that would stablize well enough to hold accuracy at long than 75 yrds. was the Speer 130 gr. HP. It is accurate as far as you can guess the hold over, but it will leave some very big holes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You All

Would I be better off with just some kind of Rabbit call to start with?Do know how to use the moth pieces yet.The one I bought says Coyote call and wounded pup and Rabbit.Some says just get Rabbit call just wondering. thank you Mike Owens

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Maybe a good thing would be.............

I loaned my Randy Anderson video on calling coyotes to a friend in Oregon, and maybe I can get him to mail it to you, to watch. I think 99% of your questions can be answered by viewing this, and much better to see and hear someone actually doing the calling, than to try and type it out on a message board. Some things just have to be seen to be understood.

Would be great if someone would offer to guide/teach you about the game in Virginia. Good luck, and if I can get that video I will send you a personal msg to get mailing info. If you want, DAA or other sponsors sell their videos on calling very cheap, and I highly recommend them to any newcomers to calling. Even us old geezers can learn stuff from them. Experience shared is the key.

Good luck, and be patient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coyote

John thank you vary much anway your to kind I relly apshate it.I will try to buy one and just keep it.Mike Owens

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with john in ca.
I was able to watch some of the available videos with a friend of mine. There is a lot to be said for seeing and hearing how a call should sound and see it being used.
The hunt scenes are pretty inspiring as well! If I didn't have bills to pay, I would quit working and spend all my time hunting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts