Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Remmy 700 Police in .308 Win, hoping it's as accurate as some of my other Remmy's. Have some friends who started shooting in the Iowa 1000 yd. B.R. matches (they have all done quite well for newbies), I hope to try this this spring. Anyway, I am looking for some guidance. I have some Lapua brass, Redding Comp. seating dies, Sierra 175 MK's, 180 MK's, 178 Horn. A-max, and 175 Berger VLD's. I sized all brass w/ Lee "collet" dies, I lost a few Lapua cases in the "collet" die, don't know why, as it was well lubed. I am guessing that the Lapua brass is a little thicker (neck wall) than your "run of the mill" American brass. Anyway, my question, which powders would you ".308" guys suggest? I have Varget, H335, W748, H4895, R12, R15' and I am willing to try the VihtaVuori powder's, maybe N150 or N550. All of my brass is "trimmed to length" chamfered, deburred, and (for the first time in my life, flash holes are "de-burred). I have yet to decide on a scope, leaning towards a fixed 10 power tactical (I know, not enough magnification). I left you a lot of "grissle" to chew on, look forward to any and all comments. Thanks in advance, Russ

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
My best .308 match loads were developed with 180 Berger VLDs over Varget. Also, IMR 4064 and H4895, N540, N550, and BL-C2 have worked for some as well. But, it seems that Varget is one of the .308s favorites!

Good luck!

P

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
ok

My best .308 match loads were developed with 180 Berger VLDs over Varget. Also, IMR 4064 and H4895, N540, N550, and BL-C2 have worked for some as well. But, it seems that Varget is one of the .308s favorites!

Good luck!

P
i can give ya a good egg gun load !! my 40xc is eating a hole with 110vmax and 47gr of R15 :D i never had a 308 that shot this well..oooppps it's 7.62 Nato maybe thats why :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
SMACK is right: Varget!

Try a stout load of Varget over a Feeral 210 or 215 primer, it has been the best load for my .308 PSS so far. I resisted it because Varget does not meter well through any measure on the market, but I wasn't satisified with the way the rifle was shooting until I tried Varget.
I also did a chronograph & accuracy test, allowing .2/grain either way from my desired load, and found the variances insignificant. This tells me it's a good load. After 100 rounds of weighed and thrown loads, the overall biggest difference was a .060 vertical dispersion.
I now throw my Varget loads, run them across a scale to verify that they are in the correct range, and load them.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
488 Posts
Try the 175 VLDs with 43.5gr of Varget. I a m seating mine to 2.882" because my PSS rifle has a very long throat. 155 Palmas work good with 46gr of Varget. Lots of 308 info on 6mmbr.com. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.308 match loads

Thanks for the replies, I figured that I was going to hear "Varget" as the top choice. I rec'd a Lymann 1200DPS2 for Xmas, looks like it's going to get a work-out! Thanks again, Russ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts