Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have a favorite plinking load for the 405gr Rem jacketed flat nose bullet in the 45-70?

I just pulled a bunch of my old bear loads and want to load them down. The hot loads are just unpleasant in my guide gun. I know I could shoot a lighter bullet, but I'm sitting on 100+ of these pumpkins anyway so I might as well enjoy them.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
45-70 wimp loads

Kyle, I have been loading and shooting a couple of 46-70s for a good many years. I gave up on jacketed bullets and have been casting my own. I use wheelweights and 50/50 solder as my metal. I have grown quite fond of the 300 gr RCBS flat nose over 24 gr of 2400.

·
Registered
4 Posts
405 (L) PB I was using AA 5744 25.5grs with a healthy crimp.
you could go down to 23 grs for a lighter load.
AA has a new 5744 short cut that woud be the cats behind.
that would be my choice..

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Second vote for AA5744

and 400 or 500gr lead. Use up the 405's with some AA5744 up then clean out the copper and switch to lead. Agreed that heavy loads in a Marlin 1895 are really obnoxious. BTDT. SR4759 might also be a good powder choice to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imr 4227

My standard load for years,(Ruger #3) was 28 grains of IMR 4227 and a SPEER 400 grain jacketed flat nose. This load is very mild and the most accurate load I ever found for the little RUGER. It would make a whitetail deer fold-up like a cheap umbrella. IMR 4227 burns really well in the old 45-70.

Sure wish I had that rifle back, just had to have a repeater, oh----well.

Hope this helps//// ..............Don in SC

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I had some IMR 4227 on the shelf, so I loaded up some at 28 gr.

A guy at work just ordered a bunch of Lasercast bullets for his 45/70s. If I work it right I think I can trade out 100 of these others and still have some left on the shelf. I'll have to pick up some of that SR powder on my next order.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a friend in Texas

shooting 405 grain Hardcast at just over 2000 fps out of a 1984 Marlin with Ballard rifleing. He says it bites on both ends.:D

He buys his hardcast lead bullets locally. I've seen the operation. Very well organized. Automatic casting and lube set-up.

Not sure what folks are paying for their bullets, but I like these prices. Hope the web link works.

http://www.bulletworks.com/rifle_bullets.html

Anyway, just hought I'd toss this into the mix. Besides this thread reminded me I need to order up some more projos for my pistols.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hodgdon recommends 60% loads H4895 where that powder is normally used...
H4895 48.0 1645 18,900 CUP from their website gives
28.8 or so grains of H4895 for a reduced or youth load
Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts