Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone out there have any data (reloading type) for the 5.7x28 or anyother info on that cal. I have just bought one to fool around with and have zero data on it thanks terry

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have also been down that road

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

I own a Five Seven USG pistol and a Ps90 and love them both. I have been exploring the reloading options for a few days and have found that forum listed above has the greatest wealth of knowledge on the 5.7x28 on the internet. I will let you make your own mind up as to what load is best because I have not reloaded for it yet either but hope to do so soon. If I get around to it I will post some results, but if you beat me to it, please do the same.

Keith

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here is what I found

I sent emails to Hodgdon, Alliant and Western (Ramshot and Accurate) powder companies. Only Western had load data. Go to the Ramshot website http://www.ramshot.com/powders/ and send them an email.

Have not had a chance to try any of these loads yet. My oldest son bought a PS90 (an investment he said) just before he went off to boot camp for the Marines. Guess I will have to buy some dies and reload for it to see how they work. I do know his younger brothers will be glad to help test out the reloads once I get them put together. They are already 'discussing' who gets to use for close range P-dogs when we make our annual P-dog trip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have settled on a load for my PS90 but haven't tried it in my pistol yet.

I wanted to start off my 5.7x28 loading session with a load that would mimic the SS197 factory load, so I opened up a box of 40gr Vmax and got out some Winchester small rifle primers.
I tried a few of the Accurate #7 loads, starting at the minimum load of 7gr and found the load was much hotter than factory, too hot in my opinion. I didn't wish to subject my new $1500 toy to the beating of a constant diet of of hot loads so I backed the load down to 6.5gr of AA#7. While it was a bit milder, the recoil was still much sharper than factory and it still seemed like a quite of bit of powder was being wasted in the form of excessive muzzle flash. I then decided to turn my focus to HS6 and work with that and see how it does.

Thanks to a member on another board, I found a load that used a maximum charge of 6.5gr of HS6 and to make a long story short, decided on to 6.3grs. I loaded up 5 of them and mixed them one factory, one reload and so forth. I found the recoil to be comparable between the loads and the point of impact to be about the same at 25yrds. I am happy with this load for now and hope to crony a few when the weather gets better.

I suggest if you give this load a try, use common sense , as none of this data has been tested by "official sources". I would start in the low 6's and do not exceed the max of 6.5. I used an OAL of 1.590 and small rifle primers.

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks very much for the reply kbz. will give it a try, needed some kind of starting point. I was hopeing to find some kind of factory load to work around. where did you get the data you started with ,if I can ask me!!!!!!!!airbus330 *terry)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lots of web searching

The data I am using came from the Five Seven Forum. The folks over there have been loading this round for a while now and lots of info and knowledge about everything five seven can be found by using the search function.
The only powder company that has any data is Accurate/Western but as I stated before, it seems that their starting loads are feel hotter than I feel comfortable with.
I have shot 300 or so of the HS6 loads with no ill effects and have about 600 more loaded up waiting for better weather. So far all my shooting of this load has been with my PS90 and not my Five Seven Pistol but like I said this load seems comparable to the factory SS197 load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts