Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I've aquired around 300 of the Hornady 58gr v-max. I need to develop a load to use these for groundhogs. My 6mm Rem. has a Hart barrell with a 1 in 14 twist. It was formerly a 6BR.
My best bullet /powder combo is the 60gr. Sierra HP and Varget but since I have so many of the above mentioned bullet, I would like to start load development soon.
I'm currently playing with WW 760, but am open to suggestions

Thanks in advance,

CF

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
not quite the same but

I had good luck with the 58 V-Max and H-380 in my 243.
I don't remember the amount but it wouldn't be the same anyway.
I do remember that the bullets had to be seated so far out that I didn't dare have them feed from the magazine or the bullets would get knocked loose (off).

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would suggest to stay with Varget for this bullet weight . WW-760 is going to be to slow burning for this light a bullet. H-4895, H-380, RL-15 or N-150 would all be good powders to try. Your optimum load with the 58 gr. VMax should be very close to your best load for the 60 gr. Sierra HP if not almost the same.

Rodney

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
I use IMR3031 in my 243

not outstanding velocities, but outstanding accuracy. IMR3031 is a "sleeper" powder that works in several calibers and should do well with your 6mm.

As for seating depth, I use the recommended COL by Hornady. It has a LOT of jump, but it likes it.

Charlie

·
Registered
288 Posts
RamShot's "Big Game" powder is a powder I failed to mention earlier. I have found that it works with a wide range of bullet weights and calibers. I haven't tried it specifically with the 58 gr. VMax but it worked well for me with the 60 gr. Berger MEF's. I am using more of these RamShot powders than ever. They measure great, are very economical ("cheap") and burn clean.I just wish more places stocked it in our area.

Rodney

·
Registered
40 Posts
not 6mm, but close

if you have 4064 on hand, you can start low and work up...

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have shot thousands of the 60g HP in a 6 Rem.......

49.5-50.0g of Win 760, Win case, Fed 210 primer or 9 1/2 bullet seated to touch the lands = bug hole groups at 3950-4000 fps.

I was shooting the Sierra 60g HP, GTB 62's, Berger 60's, KC 60's, and they all shot very tiny groups. I would expect that the HOrnady 58's would be unreal!

Let us know how it works out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.