Varmint Hunters Forum banner

6.5 STW redo.....

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Bruce Eakins 
#1 ·
Got the new (to me) Nightforce 5.5-20 moa scope on the 6.5 STW (Mike Bryant build about 6 years ago). Using 143 gr ELD-X's and 74 gr H1000. Got it sighted in couple days ago at 100 yds.

Got home from church tonight about 8 PM and wind had laid. Son had put new paint and X's on steel targets for me at 500 yards and 700 yards. He was spotting with his spotting scope for me. I guessed 7 clicks and fired one. He said up 2 clicks and fire 3. Bingo....nice group at 6.5 clicks center of X. Moved to 700 yard target and using data for the 260, I guessed 11 clicks. Fired one and he said good...fire two more and don't mess it up...LOL. Fired two more and had a nice 2" group at 700 yards.
Guess I'll leave it alone. Now to get on the data site and calculate drops at various ranges and try it out when wind lays again.....hopefully next couple of days.
I have maybe 150-200 rounds thru the rifle, and only use it for hunting maybe couple times a year. At my age it should last a lifetime....LOL
It's nice to have a son working the ranch with me that loves shooting and hunting as much as I do. I bought his Okla. Lifetime Hunting/Fishing license for his 1st Birthday 45 years ago. I'm thinking that $150 has paid for itself.

#4 ·
Sounds like a good time and great shooting rifle all the way around. I have a 6.5x284 I built and run it hot with no pressure signs, Last time I shot for groups at long range, I put 5 into 2 inches, at 600yds, and 5 into 5.5 inches at 1100yds. This was on a dead calm, overcast day, perfect for shooting. Please tell us more about the rifle and post pics, I would like to see them. I am a sucker for anything that is 6.5 caliber.

#8 ·
I finally figured out posting pics. Here is the 6.5 STW. I got two more hogs yesterday morning with this rifle. First one was about 25 yards north of my 500 yard target and the second one was about 15 yards west of my 700 yard target. I will post pics of my setup. My bench is set up just outside the fence (gate) on west side of house. Don't know if you casn see the 700 yard target, but it is just to the left of the tree on far side of wheat field. The hog on 700 yard + shot was just to the left of the tree on the terrace. I can swivel the bench to the north for the 25 and 50 yard 22 targets and the 100, 200 and 300 yard targets. The 900 and 1100 yard target are to the nw of the bench.
It is n the planning stage, for another range about 1/2 mile north of the house. Going to build a covered area with 3-4 permanent benches. Will have clear field of view for targets out to 1500 yards and will be shooting to the south.

#12 ·
Little info and history on this pic. The yellow dots are the 500 and 700 yard targets, The red dot is where hog was on 700 + yard shot and the pink dot is history. That was where Capt. John Ford of Texas Rangers and some of his men had a battle with Comanches and their chief Iron Shirt fought it out. Iron Shirt was killed in this battle, In our neck of the woods the battle was called Battle of Little Robe Creek (where Little Robe runs into South Canadian River. Some history people call it the Battle of Antelope Hills (historical hills about 6 miles SE of battle site).
JR...if there's anything I don't need is 5 more rifles (not saying they won't happen).....LOL
on this pic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.