Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the 6.8 in a rifle? Looking for something different and also wondering if I should just stick with the 243 instead? Any ideas would be appreciated. Dave

·
Registered
928 Posts
As always, it really depends upon what you want to use the rifle for. I have a Rem700 tactical in 6.8SPC on order and from what I have heard so far, the cartridge is capable of decent accuracy and is also a good deer cartridge.
I am hoping the 90gr Speer TNT will shoot well enough for a mid range prairie dog caliber.
A friend of mine converted his 6.8 from a tactical to a light weight hunter for deer and he loves the accuracy and performance. He did get rid of the heavy factory barrel and re-tubed it with a Douglas XX barrel and re-stocked it as well.
He has a completely custom 6.8SPC now and he raves about the lack of recoil and accuracy.
I am looking forward to playing with it on the firing line.
Ken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dave:
I looked into the cartridge extensively and if you have a good 243 it will out perform the 6.8 SPC any day from point blank to distance..IMO the 6.8 is a dog of a cartridge designed for one thing CQB house clearing/urban/caves..wherever it may be on a AR platform to put more energy on a point blank target for quicker one shot/short burst stops...When it comes to a Tactical rifle..Whats it filling the nich between a .308 and a .223 as far as I'm concerned the cartridge is already a past fad...Every article/post I have read people are only getting so so accuracy out of them....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Smack, I think your wrong or maybe just jumping the gun a little. I bought a Rem PSS last summer and due to working 7 days a week I didn't get a whole lot of time to fool with it. I did play with AA2520, which there is no load data for, but I got 115 SMKs in the low 2800's and pretty good accuracy. Now this was with Rem brass which uses large rifle primers and I couldn't understand why they would use LR primers in a case this small. I bought some SSA small primered brass to play with now, but that's got to wait till it warms up some.

There was a good article by Layne Simpson(hope I spelled his name right) in Shooting Times not to long ago and he shot a caribou with the 6.8. I think you gotta give it more time and see what happens.

Tom

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have an AR chambered in the 6.8 and love it. One thing this cartridge did not do was reinvent the wheel.
It pushes 90-115 gr. bullets less than 3000 fps. It is mild recoiling and very accurate. My AR wears a Noveske/Pac-Nor barrel, the last time at the range I was shooting 90 gr. Sierras and 100 gr. TNTs. with Rem cases. and H322. They both shot 5 shot groups around 5/8" @ 100.
This cartridge is great for varmints and medium size game out to 250-300 yds as long as you have a broad side shot on the larger stuff.
There are better choices out there for just about anything you want to shoot at but I for one am a fan of the 6.8. Good luck

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not for me

We tested a 6.8 AR with 90gr HPs and at 100 yds in sand they didn't expand.That's all I had to see.
EricT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts