Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polishing out the clear coat
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Road surface Wood

Next, I’ll check the fit one last time, then we’ll glue it in…

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hope it shoots good for you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Range report
Photograph Facial expression Black Wood Rectangle

Font Number Paper Temperature Pattern

This is the 2nd step in the load development process. The 1st step was to blow out the brass with Bullseye and play dough using an old barrel. Next time I’ll use wax instead of the play dough. This time I loaded a mild charge and then started working with the bullet seating depth. These were the best results of the day. I’ll finish shooting the rest of the brass with this load to complete the brass forming. The next go-around I’ll work up to the max charge and should find a sweet spot somewhere just north of 3000 FPS. We’ll see…

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the range this morning, to get chrono readings and to see if the case lengths made a difference. Lot 1 & Lot 2 case lengths are 1.500” & 1.490” respectively. Temperature was 60°F and very humid.
Product Rectangle Handwriting Font Line

·
Administrator
12,745 Posts
numbers look too close to call for me, targets are all very good. I don't know how one would pick one or the other...or how anyone can trim that accurately to get them all to 0.001" I know I can't! LOL

Looks like she's a shooter though, and again, a good driver makes all the difference! Well done!

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
THAT looks like a Boring rifle. Every one goes in the same spot!
Looks perfect to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Hi Shane, re: the charge, 51.00 on the Harrells averaged out to 28.0 grains, but then that will vary with humidity. So, on my next outing I’ll repeat the exercise with weighed charges. We’ll see…

Re: case length, the researching I did seemed to indicate folks were trimming to the 1.490”. Well that’s a lot of metal removal with a manual Redding case trimmer as the Lapua brass I’m using is measuring about 1.503”. Removing.003” is a lot easier than removing .013” In fact, it was taking two passes to achieve!

At this point I’m going to trim to the 1.500”.

·
Premium Member
5,200 Posts
I run my lt32 right at 28.3 as well. Once I get my new brass prepped I believe I'm going to test a little lower.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, the barrel is coated with a product from Cerakote called, “Transfer Grey”. It is designed to dissipate heat and it seems to work pretty well. It is used in the automotive racing industry on things like radiators. A disadvantage, I noticed is there is more mirage from the heat coming off the barrel, so a heat shield is necessary.
Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Chemical compound

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
I didn't know they still made Hedman Headers, I haven't seen any since we used them in the 60's for drag racing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LMOA… Good observation George. Cerakote also makes a high temperature coating that can go straight to room temp water from 1800°F - without cracking. It was originally produced for piston heads and exhaust components, but it works well for suppressors too which get very hot. So that’s why I have it, but occasionally I get a Motorhead in the shop who wants me to coat their heeders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts