Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short 22 mag rim fire case shortened just like the SSS ammo,,,and a larger yet [80 grain??] lead or jacketed bullet at subsonic velocity.
What for???
Oh,,,,,,I didn't get that far in the 'thinking':D
Alan in GA.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't understand your question or line of thought. A shortened 22mag is a 22lr. I would think that a 80gr bullet in a 22 rimfire of any length case (22lr or 22mag) would not be stablized due to the incorrect twist rate. Even a 22 centerfire needs a different twist rate to properly stablize an 80gr bullet. Please give us more info and maybe one of us will be able to help figure this out for you.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm,,,,thinking,,,,

:eek:
Even the SSS LR needs faster twist,,,a few rifles will stabliize it [barely].
Thinking,,,subsonic,,fast twist [special]barrel, heavy lead bullet.
I may be going nowhere with the 'thought',,but wondered if it might make a subsonic coyote round for suburbs. More logical to go centerfire I guess.
I was only starting my cup of caffiene so my brain was not yet booted up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a barrel for my 10/22 that hasa 1-9 twist thats made to shoot the 60gr SSS ammo , I trying to get the ATF off their but so I can get my paperwork to get a suppressor legal , I'm "thinking" about making. I have one for my M4 with works realy well on a regular 22lr but their is still a little crack that sounds like a high powder pellet rifle. It should be a quiet as a slingshot with the sub sonic ammo.

The 1-9 twist barrel shoot the SSS ammo very accuratly and kills problem dogs with a head shots out to 50yds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
80grain .22 Rimfire

I like the subsonic 60 grain for "special" purpose shooting.....a heavier bullet for "special" shooting would be nice too, if it would stabilize and etc. I believe the range would decrease significantly, you would just have to keep that in mind when shooting. Probably not much demand, therefore very expensive or will never be produced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.