Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning dawned cold, 13 degrees. I was up and out before dawn. My first setup, blasted cold one, was down a seldom used ranch road. I left my Tracker in a hollow and walked at least 1/4 mile. There is little sagebrush cover, but a small patch was sufficient. I called somewhat low the first sequence. Nothing! The second a little louder. On my left, out about 300 yds. +_. I saw movement coming up a shallow draw. Too far to make out as yet. Decided to give another sequence, but low. Nothing! I knew there was something in that draw. Deer maybe, perhaps a 'yote. I fumbled around and found my little bird squeeker. Some chirps and squeeks did the trick. Out came a finely furred 'yote dead on toward me. I stopped him at about 80 yds. with a bark. My .243 barked back. Down elevator. Problem is, in need to load some full metal jacket rounds for 'yotes. I have a pic, but have not downloaded to post here. Need help to post pic. Rest of the morning was cold and nothing to account for. I did manage to get a couple of great pics of the mountains in our area. Today, Lu my lab/pointer cross, and I try some long tails(pheasants). Have a good day all!

·
Registered
169 Posts
You know better than that MT....

Where's the dang pictures!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would suggest trying a soft point bullet instead of FMJ's. We tried those in a 220 Swift and they just icepick everything. Wound up shooting the last of them on prairie dogs and had several crawlers on solid body hits.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
You might give the Hornady AMax bullets a try with Coyotes, instead of going to FMJ. The AMax is slightly tougher than the VMax; seemingly they penetrate to the vitals before exploding. I have used them with great success for a couple of years and Coyotes are usually DRT when hit in a vital spot, whereas with the VMax you may get some BlowUps on the hide. They will be dead but may run for a ways spreading a blood trail as they go, until they run totally out. JR

·
Registered
826 Posts
The last thing that you need is a FMJ.......

unless you don't like picking up the coyote! What does a good job on yotes in a 243 is the 100g Hornady SPbt. We shoot 42.3g of IMR or H 4350 with Win primer in Rem brass, tiny hole coming out with a dead yote laying on the ground.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yotes and pics

Actually, I would have liked to pick this guy up as his pelt was prime. But he had a new picture window installed in his side, by way of a 65gr. Vmax. I would like to post pics, but tried before and got too blasted angry in the process. So, if someone would post the pic under this thread I would appreciate the help. I will have to buy some Amax bullets to give 'em a try. Todays pheasant hunt was great. I brought home no roosters. But Lu pointed seven hens. Plan to go calling tomorrow morning. Thanx guys!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Send me the pic, I will post it for you.

Mike

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for the help in posting my 'yote hunt pics. When I get back in the spring I fully intend to get more familiar with this blasted 'puter. Then perhaps I will be able to post my own pics. Again thanx!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'Yotes

Deer will come and deer will drop! But never, never, give a 'yote a pass!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Dang hides are worth something again

I think I liked it better when coyote hides were not worth messing with. The 7 mag did a wounderful job of putting them down and skinning was NOT a viable option! Now I gota go out and buy a calling gun cause I converted everything suitable for calling into a heavy bench gun for prairie dogs,dang it anyway:cool:
Get plenty of pics of any New Mexico yotes you may get this winter with the 65Vmaxes.I personaly like carnage and any dead yote is worth lookin at!
CJ

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dead 'yotes..

I always take a camera with me. At times it may be one of those cheap disposable jobs, but at least it is a camera. I have missed too many good opertunities for good pictures without a camera that now it is part of all of my hunting/calling gear. Yes, i will take lots of pics. Hoping to kill a javalina in Texas. Gotta have a good mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts