Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a barreled action chambered in 6BR,Rem700 LA 22" Lilja 3-groove 8-twist 1.250 straight taper to 1" at the muzzle..100 rounds fired prior owner stated it shot consistently in the .2's with 105 A-max's..I purchased this originally just for the action but after talking to the prior owner i'm wondering if I should keep it?

But the only reason I would want to keep it is if was feasible for the rifle to shoot well out to 600yrds..Is a 22" barrel to short and the velocities to low for this type of shooting?

·
Registered
329 Posts
For 600 yds, it might be nice to have a 26 or 28 inch... but you have an excellent barrel that cost a lot, so shoot it out, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with cat shooter

for a fast twist barrel, I'd like a minnimum of 24", but you can take the 87gr V-Max and wear that barrel out. The 87's will do you pretty decent at 600 compared to the lighter bullets.
You may also want to try the 107's through that barrel. The velocity loss may not be that bad and if you have good accuracy and low ES, you will do fine with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here you go...

.. in my opinion,
1) once properly zero'd, drop is of no concern
2) wind drift is negligible, especially considering the fact that the shorter barrel shoots so well

.. but you be the judge

:)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Smack, I had a 22".......

shot the 60's at 3550 with 33.5g of H335, really blew the heck out of ground squirrels....be sure to work up to that load in your rifle.

It was unreal accurate to say the least. I made a 60g MEF HP that when you hit a squirrel in the tail pipe, you would have to look hard to find the squirrel rug that was left. Kinda one of those things, now you see him, now you don't kind of things.

The hardest thing about 22" barrels is that they are loud, and loud indeed with certain powders. My hunting partner kept complaining about the noise due to the short barrel.

I sold my 22" barrel to a friend that watched me head shoot squirrels at 300 and put on a 27", sold that one to a friend that watched me shoot jackrabbits way out there. If I had Lapua brass, I would not have sold either of them.

You could probably sell the barrel for a pretty good buck if you are unsatisfied with the length, you obviously had something in mind for the action that you wanted.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Aceball,
Excellant post. As I have often told people the long barrels are better and I can prove it to you on paper, but when you go to the field, or the range, you will not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aceball,

Have you ever *shot* a 6mmBR w/ the heavies (105/107gr), or is that just what the computer spit out? Reverse-engineering the MV's via JBM shows them to be awful conservative for the 26" and 30" tubes.

First-hand experience w/ a 27" tube was 2680-2700fps, and I was working on getting more. A 30" would almost certainly get more w/ the right powder. I'm not saying that by twiddling the powder selection and seating depths and all that jazz one couldn't eak some surprising velocities out of the shorter barrel lengths, but the numbers you give seem awful dang low.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Even with though the MV's charted start at 100 yards, not the muzzle?

Here's some data off the new Hodgon powder site, and man do they have a nice data program.

Take a look here: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

NOTE: I chop'd up ( omitted the minimum load data) Hodgon's display just a tad so as to fit the GGVG display (width) format. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like I said, I 'reverse-engineered' the velocities back to the muzzle using JBM.

A 100yd velocity of 2503fps works out to a MV of about 2685fps, give or take a couple, out of a 30" barrel.

A 100yd velocity of 2388fps works out to a MV of about 2565fps, again give or take a couple, out of a 22" barrel.

130fps over 8" of barrel seems a little unrealistic, but about a year ago the folks at 6mmBR.com had a hardcore BR shooter & machinist do a series of tests with a 6mmBR barrel mounted in a rail gun. They started at 33", and cut back in 1" increments to 28". IIRC they were getting about 8-10fps per inch in those tests, so the roughly 16fps per inch your data is showing is plausible. On the other hand I would expect a bit more speed pick up between 22" and 26" than the numbers show. BTW, the MV they were getting even @ 28" was 2900+fps.

YMMV,

Monte

·
Registered
446 Posts
BTW, the MV they were getting even @ 28" was 2900+fps.
A couple quick thoughts,
1) what weight bullet, 105/107 grns ?
2) were the pressure anywhere within reasonable ?

A few weeks ago, a buddy's 6mmTCU pressed Bergers 95 VLD's out of a 26" fast twist barrel just over 2,850fps without extreme pressures! I would have lost money on that, and wouldn't have believed those MV's for minute had I not been the shooter.

With all this said,

SMACK, if that rifle shoots like claimed, then I'd count my blessings and rebarrel only after the throat is toast!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tom,

You just hit on the 'issue', as it were.

At 27" based on what I'd 'heard', I expected to be able to get more than 2700fps out of a 107gr SMK... 2800 at least. With a few powders or seating combinations I did get above that... but either case life or accuracy (often both!) suffered. Yet to listen to the BR crowd, 'everybody' can get the 105/107's up to 2900+. I asked some rather pointed questions about what I was reading on the Internet vs. what I was reading on my chrono (btw, my ballistic come-ups matched the chrono reads). A lot of noise made about the 'difference' being that most of the folks reporting high velocities were using custom actions w/ high end barrels... and I was using a factory Savage action w/ a Douglass barrel (Sharp Shooter Supply). I've heard of 'slow' or 'fast' barrels before, but the point was made that the *action* had something to do with it as well... more ridgid, less flex, less likely to 'show' pressure. Mostly anecdotal evidence in the form of people with factory actions (like me) having a hard time matching the velocities that people w/ custom actions were turning out.

I've got a 40X (still essentially a factory action) sitting here w/ a 30" Lilja 1-8" twist 6mm BR barrel (thanks SMACK! :D ) that I need to get to the range with and see how it shoots sometime this coming week. I've got two boxes of factory Lapua 105gr Scenar ammo to try as a 'base line' so it'll be interesting to see what kind of speed it gives.

Actually, that gives me an idea... SMACK, if you want one of these boxes of ammo, we should fire a box thru your 22" tube and a box thru my 30" tube (both on Remington factory actions) and see what kind of velocities we can see. I'm up for it if you are.

Monte

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice, Tom. Had me going there for a bit, trying to figure out how in the hell 29.0gr of Varget was a 'C'ompressed load.

Note the seating length. Generally I have a lot of respect for companies that supply reloading components, but in this case whoever put this data together was an idiot. One, they don't supply any info on length of barrel, etc. Two, nobody in their right mind seats a *107* that short. The loaded ammo I have left from the last 6mm BR barrel measures 2.440". The Lapua factory ammo I have sitting in boxes downstairs w/ the 105gr Scenar in it measures 2.330". So I have to ask, "Where the hell did they come up w/ 2.250"?" No wonder their load data (and MV's) looks funny.

YMMV,

Monte

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.