Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many, if anyone here hunts with the 6mmPPC, be it a USA chamber or BR tight neck chamber ?

I have a custom built Sako Vixen bolt handgun with a 14” Lothor Walther 1:12 barrel chamber in 6mmPPC USA. My 300 cases are Sako head-stamped, but the cases are made by Norma. The Sako most accurate load is with H-322, Rem 7-1/2, topped with a Nosler 55 BT. Five shot groups are average 1/10 MOA. I’m running low on H-322, but earlier this year I secured two pounds of LT-32. I’ve been checking daily on Hodgdon’s website for H-322, but none has been available for the last seven months or so. If I can’t get anymore of the H-322, I’ll use the LT-32 which is actually formulated for the PPC cartridge, which depending on what load node my Sako likes will be enough for 470-500 loads. I would like to try some of the IMR 8208 XBR if I can get any. My next quandary is primers. I still have a brick of 7-1/2, but if this primer shortages continues, I’ll have to use my other brick of 6-1/2. I read that Remington has released some primers for component sales, so there mite be hope on the horizon. Federal 205M and CCI BR-4 are still scares.

Anyway. If someone here shoots a 6mmPPC, lets talk.

Pete

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Don't have a PPC, but I would never use a Rem 6 1/2 for a high pressure cartridge. They crater and pierce easily in my experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll have to disassemble a 6-1/2 and compare the cup thickness to a 7-1/2. I have access to a hardness tester. Not to long ago I acquired the brick of 6-1/2 in a trade. In the past I used BR-4 and 205M in 223. I used BR-2 and 210M in 308 and BR-2 in a Rem. 700 VS 220 Swift I had. Actually I only use match primers in rifle cartridges. It gives me a peace of mind in that if the cartridge isn’t shooting to a level of accuracy expectation, it’s not the primer at fault. Going over my old load data log I see I used 6-1/2 and 7-1/2 in an XP100 chambered in 7mmBR. My notes doesn’t mention cratered primers and I used a max load of H322 for nocking down the rams when I competed in IHMSA shoots.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
James Calhoon has all the data on one of the articles on his webpage. The 6-1/2 has 0.020" cup thickness and the 7-1/2 has 0.025" thickness.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've had a few 6 ppc's my last was a Sako when I stopped shooting long range 7-8 years ago I purchased a Sako single shot and I also shot a custom Spencer built gun many years ago . I ran N133 in my guns . I remember years ago Dave Bruno shooting the 6 ppc at long ranges . He would be a good one to talk to . Most of my shooting was in 300 yards or under . Longer distance I ran my favorite plain Jane 6 Br with heavier bullets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a few 6 ppc's my last was a Sako when I stopped shooting long range 7-8 years ago I purchased a Sako single shot and I also shot a custom Spencer built gun many years ago . I ran N133 in my guns . I remember years ago Dave Bruno shooting the 6 ppc at long ranges . He would be a good one to talk to . Most of my shooting was in 300 yards or under . Longer distance I ran my favorite plain Jane 6 Br with heavier bullets.
You mention N133. That gunpowder is harder to find then a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow with a leprechaun standing next to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is Dave Bruno the same as Bruno Shoot Supply ?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dave Bruno will quickly tell you there is no connection between the two. Dave is in Pennsylvania and Lester is in Phoenix. And, they are not related.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. Thanks to everyone to clarify that. There’s not to many people here in the U.S. with that last name so you can see how I made that assumption.

As with my last name, there’s only three people in the whole of the U.S. that have my last name spelling. My niece, nephew, and I. So there’s no confusion there. At least if the IRS or some other government entity comes after me, it’s really me there coming after and not someone else by mistake.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some people have used the 30PPC in score shooting, similar to the 30BR. They use lighter bullets, 100-108 grain instead of the usual 117-118 for the 30BR. For me, I use the 30PPC for shooting cast bullet benchrest. I have two molds, one a 175 grain and the other a 205 grain. It shoots exceptionally well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At 175 gr and 205 gr, lead bullets your muzzle velocitys must be below 2,000 FPS.

Currently I’m conversing with another member how has shot 30BR and he tells that it groups about .250”.

I like my little Sako 6PPC in that it’s the second true one hole firearm I’ve owned. The first was a factory Remington 700 PSS in 223 Rem that with full match prepped LC cases, Win 748, Rem 7-1/2, using either Nosler 50 gr Bt, or Hornady 50 V-Max would shoot five into sub .100” groups. I actually won a few informal bechrest matches with it at a local gun club. It helped that the trigger broke at a clean 6 ounces. I also had a factory Remington XP100 in 7BR that would put three into a .150” group, but the skinny barrel would heat up and spoil the groups. The Sako needs a lighter trigger as it has a Timney trigger that I can only get to break at 14 ounces and be safe. Because the Sako is set up as a handgun, consistent grip is super important. I know Cajar made a set trigger, but I’m not a fan of those types of triggers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here’s that Sako. I’m the second owner, but it only has had less then 500 rounds through it. It was built in 1992 by Accuflite. It has a 14” Lothor Walther 1:12 barrel. The stock is a foam core/fiberglass McMillan. The scope is a long since discontinued Burris 10x long eye relief. I gave it a speckled textured paint finish as I didn’t like the original black finish
Bicycle handlebar Yellow Trigger Machine gun Air gun

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I hunted pheasants with a Hammond custom BR piece in 6PPC. Hunted pheasants??? Yep. On occasion the birds would step out of the cornfield and not be concerned about me laying down some 200+ yards from them. The Idea was to snap off their heads. I limited out (3 birds) one afternoon that way with a 26-06. I figured the 6PPC would be good to 300 yards - but never got the chance. (However, I did tag a pheasant at 300ish with a 6BR and a 165 gn V-max - with witnesses!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 6PPC cartridge is the most precise short range cartridge yet developed. Most benchrest shooters use Vitavouri N133 powder with pretty hot loads. Bullets are usually 55-68 grain weight custom bullets. Barrels are stainless match grade at 13-15 twist. The cartridge is pretty finicky to keep in tune. 133 needs a lot of pressure to shoot to its top potential with tight neck tension and the bullet seated into the lands. Primers are usually Federal 205M but some use 205's and claim no accuracy difference. The cartridge is best at 100-300 yards. I have used my old benchrest rifles on prairie dogs using VMax and ballistic tip bullets out to about 400 yards. At longer distances you might consider a 6 Dasher or 6BR. Norma and Lapua brass are exclusively used. Sako American brass is not used because it is too soft. Dave and Lester Bruno are both excellent benchrest shooters and I would listen to them. For an excellent guide I recommend Tony Boyer's book The Book of Rifle Accuracy. Mike Ratigan also published a good book Extreme Rifle Accuracy. Glen Newick and Walter Page both published books on accurate rifles but both are dated. If you do anything buy Boyer's book and read it.

·
Administrator
3,990 Posts
I believe the name was Warren Page not Walter. At least the book I have is by Warren Page.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts