Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just looking for an excuse to build by first rifle. I have an ADL .243 that I am about ready to have built into something for mid-long range. I was thinking of the .260 or 7mm-08. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Questions:

What are you wanting to hunt with this gun?

For antelope at reasonable ranges - either round is probably fine. I would lean toward a 260.

For larger game than that, I would really consider building around a bullet that you want to shoot. The magazine box for short actions limits bullet selection somewhat.

Either way, if I had my druthers for that action, I probably would head towards a 6.5-284 for long range in SD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Given those 2 for your stated use I think you would find more info on the 260 for a longrage round then the 7mm-08. Both are great white tail rounds also. But low drag long range I would go for the 260.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My vote goes for the 260. Have to agree with the 120gr Ballistic Tips. Has to be one of the best all around deer vamint ctgs going. Do not understand why Remington has it on the trail to extinction.:confused:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Tough call

I have a model 7 in 7-08, friend of mine has one in .260, not a nickles worth of difference that I can see, except I can shoot heavier bullets.

Oh yeah, I'm having an XP100 built and it'll be 7-08.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum..

.. Flip a quarter.. Let a youngin' decide.. Whatever..

..Heck man, go with the one ya like the looks of the best.. I know first hand that the 7 will do the job.. I'm relatively sure the 6.5 will as well.. Both have great bullets now..
..Just get whatchya really want a go kill something.. :D d:^) Jake

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a Browning Micro in 7mm-08 and

My pard in Texas has a Kimber in 260. Both are awesome shooters.

Hard choice......SO....

BUY THEM BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll play devils advocate

I read the post where you are talking about hitting a p. dog at medium to long range. Just a suggestion, you may want to think about the 6 br. I know you said ".260 or 7-08". I have a .473 boltface short action and thought about the .260 too. When I get the money, I'm going to build a 6 br.

·
Registered
751 Posts
How about 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or Partitions.
I'm building a 6.5 x 47 Lapua around this bullet.
I've built 4 of those in the last month!

The last one was for myself. That's really a great little cartridge.

I've also built a few 6x47 Lapua's also for a couple 600yd BR guys.

In any event the 7-08 and 260 are both great, I don't think one has much of an advantage over the other. I have several rifles in both.

But it's tough to beat the .264 pills ballistics.... and they sure kill way out of proportion to their size...

Many a very large game animal is taken every year in Scandinavia with the old 6.5x55.... and I took an Elk with one several years ago at just over 200yds. It was only the second I've ever been able to take and it dropped just as fast as the one I got 12yrs ago with a 338 win mag...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Building a .260AI right now just south of you I'm in Beresford made this decision after talking to some long range shooting friends after shooting the .260ai for the first year they have chambered there last 6.5-.284 very close to same velocity with 5% less powder and longer barrel life bullet will be 140 vld berger has a .6plus BC. Good Luck and Have fun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi ya RedRock

Saw that you're building a 260AI.... I just got one going, finally got a good scope on it, will shoot some new loads when the snow clears some.

I did some powder comparisons with std vs AI, not sure I'd do it again. I need to do a water volume comparison, but doesn't seem to me like you get that much more powder capacity. At least, like the 257, 243, etc. But, is easy on brass as long as you lube your necks for resizing.

I"ll have to try some of the big BC bullets, albeit they are a tad big for pds. Some folks claim the 95 gr VMax's are the cat's meow, so far, they are only mediocre for me.

Keep us in the info loop on how it works.

Good luck, -West

·
Registered
109 Posts
Latest Shooting Times has an .....

article comparing the .260, and the .308 as tacticle rifles. Says the .260 has 2/3 the drop, and 2/3 the drift of a .308 @ 1000 YDS. Where do I trade my new .308 barrel for a new .260 barrel?????? Article says the .260 "nips" @ the "heels" of a 6.5-284.Who you gonna call????? Russ

·
Registered
11 Posts
.260 Ai

If you Go to the 6mmbr Website and under gun of the week look for Terrys Tactical 260AI He gives some nice advantages and states that the .260AI Beats the .260rem in every way. Nice article and after calling the Ballistic techs at Sierra they agreed with Terrys finding. Also talked to a Competition Shooter ...Do a web search for Henning...and he is also hands down .260 AI over the Standard .260. Velocity gains seem to be about 130 to 150 fps.
Will Keep board posted as this project moves along will be using 7-08 win Brass necking down is easier than necking up .243 win brass. Don't want Rem Brass have not had good luck. It's been about 8years since i've been on this board they have made some nice improvements and have made it much more user friendly.
If anyone has any info on there Sucess or Failure with the .260 AI I would like to hear it.
As far as killing PD's I use a 19-223 calhoon, 223. rem and 22-250 so this will be a 600-1000yd long range Killer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.