Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A woof ! at the bedroom door at day light means Jack wants out ....NOW ! .
A quick check of the temperature on the way by reads 18 degrees . Open the door bare footed and nearly bare naked , cold air rushes in ...Burrrrrrr. Jack starts his rounds as I head back for bed room for clothes. Bark , Bark BARK ! , OK , OK , I turn back around to let him back in , no he does not want in , he wants me to open the "Tin Cat " mouse trap on the front steps. I have a good sized rock on it to retard him from dragging it off and opening it with his powerful Airedale Jaws. decision time ..... do I chance getting dressed and loosing a $15 trap or do I run out in the near buff to rescue trap ? the last BARK , Woof , BARK answers the question . Out the door I go , with a hastily slipped on Jungle Mocs. no wind , and a quick scoop of the trap from the "Jaws of Steel" and run to the 5 gallon pail to open the trap . Jacks head is in the bucket making it a bit crowded to open the trap . I pull the trap out of the bucket to get the lid open and out popped a nice big Mouse. Jack right with the program nabs it and starts the puree treatment. I notice there is another tail poking out of the entrance and start to pull it out as Jack puts the finishing crunch on the first . I swear the mouse jumped right in to Jacks mouth almost starting him . Glad I did not have a finger in the way . Puree treatment complete , I re-fill the trap with sunflowers and place back on the porch. Mean while , Jack happy as punch has pissed on both leaving his trophy purees for all to admire on the front lawn . He heads off for his daily rabbit rounds while I sneak back in to bed . wife wondered why I was sooooooo cold ! :>)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Great post Southpaw, My airedale Lucy does much the same, only more often than not it is brown anole lizards or black racer snakes with the occasional opossum and or armadillo thrown in. Good thing here is no cold wind blowing where it doesn't need to:D . How old is Jack and what does he weigh, if I might ask.
Gary

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Go gettem Jack!

Nothing like seeing the Airedale getting what he wants in the morning.:D :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Age and time .....

has taken it's toll , Jack is 9 and a few months. He has a bad left hip but never complains. I give him 2 Glucosamine/Chrodroitin =1000mg. of Glu.and 800 mg of Chron.daily Seems to help. He has weighed in the 73 to 76 lb @ annual check up in the fall since age of three. Very active . Runs 3 miles or more a day . Only dog I have ever had that jumps with joy at the sight of a rifle of shot gun . Has natural hunting instincts and a good nose. Funny to see him run along with me and put the brakes on when he passes a scent. Loves to run coyotes but not to kill . Seems to have a bit of sportsman/kinship with the buggers. I do not hunt coyotes as they help keep the rodent/gopher population down . I saw him run down a 3/4 grown Jack rabbit a few years back . It took a bit manuvering on his part to keep the rabbit out of the fence line . Eventually the rabbit tried a dead end hole in a fence line and Jack was victorious. He paraded it by me but was reluctant to share His Kill . If I shoot some thing he will retrieve it for me . If he gets it on his own it is his ! He got a Marmot / Rock chuck out of wifes rock garden, He would parade it by me and stash it out of site. When working around the yard I tried to follow him but he would hide the marmot in the tall cat tails by the pond. He will retrive Muskrats from the pond I shot and bring them to me . But one he catches is his. Same thing , parade it past but not give it up. Love the old fellow , even the wife has relented and lets him sit by my chair. Gonna be a sad day when his time comes.
Should have named him "American Express " as we never leave home with out him. Funny story .... a few years back a cousin saw the wife in the grocery store , She asked ... is that a dog in the back of your Caddy ? Yep the wife says , He wouldn't let the kids eat in the car and here is the damn dog ! It had leather uphostery and easy to clean , dosent chew gum or eat sticky foods you know . :>)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts