Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son and I went out for a bit of a fish yesterday to see if we could rattle a few scales up in a local dam. At it is at the moment most of Australia is in it's 3rd year give or take a year or 2 of drought and this dam when full is 6 times bigger than Sydney Harbour but it's now down to 3%.

Anyhow we ended up getting busted off twice by what we think were Murray Cod Australia's biggest freshwater predator that can grow up to 100kgs lost probably 3-4 fish just missing the hook-ups and my son out fishing me by nailing 2 very nice Yellowbelly 1 at 54cm and the other at 60cm.

We were using FishTrap plastic lures bouncing them off the bottom and retrieving them slowly in a series of jerking movements.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,613 Posts
Very interesting. Looks like a cross between our Crappie and smallmouth bass or perch. Fat buggers they are! Bet they fight like crazy!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
You blokes have some of the damnable critters down under. Do not think I want to meet Murray Cod when skinny dipping. Or Murray's Codpiece.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting. Looks like a cross between our Crappie and smallmouth bass or perch. Fat buggers they are! Bet they fight like crazy!
Charlie at this size they can be lazy buggers although these 2 fought pretty well and while some do fight well the bigger models put up a bit of a struggle then come up like a dog on a leash.
Out of a river they do fight well as they have to fight the currents but in dams they don't have to fight that hard and there's always something swimming past to eat.

My best Yellowbelly is around 6kgs and at that size the body is huge and are nicknamed medicine balls because they look like one.

"You blokes have some of the damnable critters down under. Do not think I want to meet Murray Cod when skinny dipping. Or Murray's Codpiece. "

Murray Cod aren't that nasty but the bigger Cod have been known to take ducklings, possums, parrots just about anything they think they can swallow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts