Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of my experiences with a bear.

BEAR FACTS.... Next, I moved to another good calling locating above a grove of Quaking Aspens and setup. Again with the Circe Cottontail call, I gave out a series of screams for about 1 minute and then about 1 minute of quiet. After about the fifth series I see a ground squirrel setting on a rock, but no coyotes. The ground squirrel makes a very good sentry. If anything approaches, the ground squirrel will see it. A couple more series and the ground squirrel takes a dive. I get ready and here comes a big brown bear! He was coming straight in at about 150 yards. I quit calling and the bear keeps walking in. At about 100 yards, I begin to get nervous, so I take a shot at a rock about 15 feet off to the side of the bear. Bang-splat and the bear doesn't pay any attention. I stood up at port arms and growled at the bear. The bear stops and then slowly starts walking toward me. I don't want anything to do with the bear, so I take another shot at a rock about 6 feet to the side of the bear. The bear stops and goes over and just sniff where the bullet hit. I growl as loudly and as fiercely as I can and finally the bear stops at maybe 80-90 yards. I only have only 2 rounds left in the magazine and more ammo, but it is tucked away in my fanny pack in a bullet wallet. I am thinking about how long it would take to reload. Then the bear turns to the side and slowly walks into the Aspen grove. I take a big sigh of relief and end my coyote calling for the morning.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Close Calls...............

And Im glad it all worked out for you with the bear Al, and you are here to share the story!!

Just this week, an old friend called. Said his daughter is dating a young man who is the son of some folks who ranch a large piece of ground between Cambria and San Simeon California, and much of the 55,000 acres lies in the Santa Lucia mountain range.

For New Years vacation, the two families stayed there, and did some quad riding, and calling (though they are not varminters, but are deer hunters).

The older brother (age 24) told them that he had planned a long hike up into a draw before dawn and the plan was to sit at the base of a tree and wait on a blacktail deer to travel a known path at sunrise. He said it was a non-typical day for September, with heavy coastal fog covering the ranch. He went ahead with his plan anyway. Alone. With the .30-06.

He said toward the end of his walk, he was going quietly and slowly on the damp ground, wanting to get set just right, to have a good view of the trail. He found his spot, and though unable to see 50 feet, he sat patiently, waiting for light, and the fog to lift, or blow out.

About 15 minutes later, he heard a soft "ba-Bump" near the base of a tree about 35 or 40 yards in front of him. He thought DEER, but after a sheet of fog blew past, and the image became clearer, he saw a large cougar staring straight at him in the pounce pose. Said he remembers those cold blue eyes and tan body in the fog. He raised the gun and cycled the bolt, and the cougar turned and disappeared quickly back away from him, into the fog.

The next week, the family found one of their riding horses dead, mauled from a Lion, according to DFG, and state wildlife inspectors. So they sent a contracted ADC lion hunter with dogs in to hunt. He shot one on the 14th of January and saw yet another, within 2 miles of where the young man saw the one. The dead one, a male was good sized (I forgot what he said, but am thinking either 160 or170#)

That lion, Im sure....had positioned himself (herself) in that tree, and was ALSO very aware that deer travel under it, and he too, was targeting a deer for breakfast!! He may have also thought the hunter was a deer, and bedding near that oak tree 40 yards away, and was preparing a run at him. If he did that, the chance of the young man living thru it would have to be slim.

Keep an eye on those trees when in lion habitat.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
He is not doing well tonight

Just saw an update on Sunday evenings news. Mr. Hamm has been moved back into critical condition, from stable.

I hope he makes it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.