Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Ar 10 just is not performing like it should. What should I do? Ammo is Black Hills 168 match hollow point. It is supposed to shoot it at least 1 inch at 100. I believe the twist is 11.25. Maybe a different weight bullet? or fight with Armalite to see if they will back there product.

This group was shot at the same time on the same target but with my 22-250AI just to show I can shoot ok.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Which brand and model of AR-10 do you have?

I know that Armalite specifically mentions this BlackHills match load in their 1 MOA guarantee. So ammo should not be a factor at all.

What optics do you have on the rifle? Do you have a fair amount of magnifcation?

Did you do a barrel break-in? This should be done no matter what the rifle.

Group size is usually measured center to center. So your group size here is actually only 1.686 inches

Anyway, do provide some more details. Hopefully some of the AR-15 experts here could give you some advice. Or you could visit www.ar15.com, and post a message there.

There really are not that many AR-15 shooters here.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scope is a new Leupold 6.5-20 LR. Badger rings. It only has 60 rounds through it and I cleand after ever shot for the first few shots, and has had no more than 6 shots between cleaning the way it is now. So far there is no evidence of copper fowling. I shot a couple of five round groups and this is the best it has done so far. I realize the groups should be center to center so even after you subtract .30 it is still a LONG ways from 1 inch. I just wonder if more rounds will actually help? All of my bolt guns with quallity barrels shot right off the bat. Group was shot off bags not bipod.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Which brand and model of AR-10 do you have?

I know that Armalite specifically mentions this BlackHills match load in their 1 MOA guarantee. So ammo should not be a factor at all.

What optics do you have on the rifle? Do you have a fair amount of magnifcation?

Did you do a barrel break-in? This should be done no matter what the rifle.

Group size is usually measured center to center. So your group size here is actually only 1.686 inches

Anyway, do provide some more details. Hopefully some of the AR-15 experts here could give you some advice. Or you could visit www.ar15.com, and post a message there.

There really are not that many AR-15 shooters here.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
726 Posts
sorry about the extra post

I guess I'm still getting used to this website. I'm not sure exactly how I did that.

So this is a custom rifle? I don't recognize it. Sure looks like a quality rig. though.

Lance in Oregon

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have sold and worked with many of the ArmaLite AR-10T model rifles. I have yet to have one that would not shoot real good groups. Someone already touched on this, but I can't tell you how important barrel break-in is with the ArmaLite barrels. If you talk to ArmaLite, you will find that copper fouling is their number 1 cause for lack of accuracy on retuned rifles.

If I were you, I would make certain you are getting the copper out of the bore, and start from scratch. I have seen T model barrels take up to 200 rounds of break-in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts