Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to build a 17 Mach IV, and will do so, but maybe chamber for the new rem factory 17 Fireball. The question is what action to use. I have 2 Remington 600 actions and several 700 SA's available and was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which would be better suited. They all have the proper bolt face size, and I have several Shilen barrel blanks in .224, in 9, 12, and 14 twist rates. So a recommendation on twist rate would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
How you build the gun depends on how you plan to use it.

The 600 action has a non-opening floorplate. You might be able to find some kind of aftermarket hinged floorplate, which would be very expensive. Otherwise you're stuck with the crappy factory piece, or the aftermarket metal piece....again, if you can find one. Either way, it's a blind magazine. So with the 600 action, I'd make it a single shot.

For a walking gun/truck gun, or if it'll be used as a repeater, I'd choose the 700 action. With the .221 magazine guts it should work just fine as a 17 Fireball. About 10yrs ago I shortened the internal pieces and made a 17MIV work fine as a repeater.

The very best for a cartridge that size is a small Sako action, or Mini Mauser, or maybe a CZ. They're perfect for a case like that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on a single shot rifle, so the 600 may be the way to go. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was about to build a 17 Mach IV, and will do so, but maybe chamber for the new rem factory 17 Fireball. The question is what action to use. I have 2 Remington 600 actions and several 700 SA's available and was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which would be better suited. They all have the proper bolt face size, and I have several Shilen barrel blanks in .224, in 9, 12, and 14 twist rates. So a recommendation on twist rate would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.
Well as you can see there ain't much difference

Mach4 on the left.

And as of January (Per Remington) the Fireball will be available in
It will initially be released in; the CDL Limited, the VSF, the SPS Varmint and the Model-7.
http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775

·
Registered
57 Posts
700 extractor location..

Not sure on the Rem 600, but the normal extractor location on the 700 would not work well with the short 221 case. You could extract/eject a loaded round, but an empty case would release from the extractor too early, and fall back onto the follower (or next round).
The "fix" appears to be that Rem moved the extractor position, to kick the case against a different area of the receiver, and allow it to hang onto the extractor till it got to the port. That was the only apparent change on my 700 Classic (now sold) when it went back for repair, and my LVSF bolt face came with the relocated extractor.
Just something to consider...cuz turning the rifle to shake out the empty sorta sucks.

Greg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Only "sorta"?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not sure on the Rem 600, but the normal extractor location on the 700 would not work well with the short 221 case. You could extract/eject a loaded round, but an empty case would release from the extractor too early, and fall back onto the follower (or next round).
The "fix" appears to be that Rem moved the extractor position, to kick the case against a different area of the receiver, and allow it to hang onto the extractor till it got to the port. That was the only apparent change on my 700 Classic (now sold) when it went back for repair, and my LVSF bolt face came with the relocated extractor.
Just something to consider...cuz turning the rifle to shake out the empty sorta sucks.

Greg

Just shorten the ejector spring. My 700 MIV conversion extracted/ejected with no problems. It keeps cases from being thrown into the next county and is a good thing to do with any 700.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you were thing single shot anyway.....

go with the 600 action......

·
Registered
211 Posts
Single Shot Mode & Remove Ejector :::

Thats the Road I have gone with 2 of my Pd guns. Leaves the MT-case sittin on the bolt & is in an easy place to remove. Then U never have to pick the MT out of ,or up from any place that is different or difficult. Try It, U just mite like it. My 2¢ Russ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts