Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
It all depends on which one ya get....

locally (Tulsa) the average price of a NIB Romanian AK is going for $395.00.

Prices can vary based on manufacture, milled or stamped receiver, wood or plastic furniture, and location.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have two of the Romanian clones. I paid $300 each for them used.

If you buy a Romanian, do a little research, a few that came out of Century arms had some issues with the front sights being canted. Easy to spot, but you need to know what to look for.

Both of these have all the bells and whistles, bayo lug, flash hider etc.

The newer USA compliant ones aren't affected by any of the "ban" issues.

Paying a premium for anything "pre ban" is downright stupid unless you live in the people's republic of Kalifornia or some other state with insane gun laws.

There's guys down here that have been trying to recover their money on "pre-bans" they bought long ago at crazy prices for several years now....

One local dealer who bought them up like crazy years ago still has over a dozen ARs and AKs that he's been trying to sell for over 5yrs!!!

Aks are cheap, so are the AR clones.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Good advice already posted, just a couple other things to think about. Caliber: 7.62x39 recoil is greater than 5.45x39 or 5.56x45. If you already have an AR then 5.56 would make sense from an ammo standpoint or 7.62x39 from an originality standpoint; I would avoid 5.45x39. Sights: AK effectiveness can be improved by adding a rear-mounted peep sight available from aftermarket suppliers like Krebs Custom. Scopes are really a waste of time so you don't really need the siderail mount which some receivers are fitted with. Milled receivers are heavier than stamped, both function equally well. Underfolder stocks are very uncomfortable to use as are Romanian wire-folders. get a fixed wooden stock or a plastic side-folder that looks like the fixed stock. AKs are quite simple tools that are fun to shoot; everyone should have at least one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can buy a brand new Romanian for $300 to $350 around here, there are several online sources for these also, you should be able to find a dealer to a transfer if nobody is selling them at a reasonable price in your location.

Here's an example:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

I built my own from parts, but it would have been a lot easier to just buy one, and I spent around $300 to build it!

·
Registered
928 Posts
One of these days I will eventually just humble down and buy one. I am glad I waited for the Pre/Post ban madness to calm down. Lots of fellas paid way too much for them during the heyday of the assault weapons bans. Unfortunately after taking a look on GunsAmerica, they are still priced pretty high. I will just wait patiently for a decent used one to come around.
Ammo for plinking is very cheap.
Ken

·
Registered
34 Posts
SAR-3 here

I just had to get an AK variant to tinker with and chose the SAR-3. It's a Romanian frankenstein AK that chambers standard .223 instead of the 5.45 or 7.62x39.

Interesting enough, my rifle was delivered on 9-11 along with a case of milsurp Guatemalan 5.56. I could have easily doubled my money that day and got some interesting comments leaving my dealers store for sure. I'm probably on a list somewhere.

Anyway it's fun to shoot and accurate enough for nuisance varmint control. I usually take it along on the ATV when I'm plowing foodplots or just scouting. I loaded up some v-maxes and they really do a number on an armadillo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.