Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Rem 722 single shot 308 heavy varmint style barrel with a stock which looks the same as a 40x. It had threaded holes at 45º in the forearm for adjusting screws. I have not found anything on this rifle. Date code says it was built in 1954. Can anyone shed some lite on this..maybe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 40X stock like you describe. It is a single shot rimfire stock w/ the adjustable tuner screws near the forend tip. I've not yet ever seen a varmint weight 722 though. Maybe a rebarrel?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is a rebarrel they have done an exellent job. The blue on the barrel and action matches perfect, of course that can be done. But what about it being a single shot action????? May have to check with Remington if they will tell me anything. Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rem 722

James , I've seen a lot of old 722s , but nothing like that . I bet it's a Custom , but I have been surprised before .... Someone a while back gave me some new info. and Posted Pics. on higher Grade 722s ( stuff I've never seen ) . A possibility might be the Remington Custom Shop but I think the 722 preceeded the 40X ( but I'm not sure about that ) . You can call Remington ( do a Googol search ) , and ask them for the Phone No. or Email Addy of the Remington Historian . Nice guy , who last I knew lived in Las Vegas .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Older 40X

James, I once had an older single shot 40X 222 Mag that was somewhat different from later models.

This gun had a blued barrel and the adjustable bedding devices up front.

The trigger was different in that the sear wasn't made in one piece as they are today. This sear was made up with two pieces---side by side. I understand this trigger construction is seen in the 722's also-----info from others. I don't positively remember that this trigger was otherwise like later 700 triggers but think it was-----as opposed to the 40X triggers with external pull weight adjustments.

My recollections are that this trigger was better than any 700 or 40X trigger I've used.

I think I've read comments that the earliest 40X's were made on the 722 pattern but don't know where I read it. Other comments were that these early guns had basically straight bolt handles. I don't remember any details of the bolt handle on the gun I had.

Hope this helps.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Lucky Shooter, that's what I'm thinking too...a early pre 40x. It looks too original for a custom. I'll see if I can do some research. Maybe go to the gun show and buy it,if it's still there. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
243 Posts
Old 40X ??

This gun could be a good start for another round with another barrel and might also be a very good 308 as is-----if you can swing a good enough deal on it.

The old 40X I had was a very good gun and I was a world class dummy to let it go.

I've also read somewhere that in the early days of Bench Rest, Remington's Mike Walker and a few others had single shot 40X's built on the 722 pattern.

I just looked at a book----The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page---and there are comments to the effect that the 40X is essentially a 722 without the magazine cut, smaller cut for feeding and ejection and slightly larger diameter. There is also a picture of one but I can't tell if the bolt handle looks any different.

You might have found something worth having if the price is right.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
13,374 Posts
hummmmmmmm!!!!

I saw a Rem 722 single shot 308 heavy varmint style barrel with a stock which looks the same as a 40x. It had threaded holes at 45º in the forearm for adjusting screws. I have not found anything on this rifle. Date code says it was built in 1954. Can anyone shed some lite on this..maybe.
you found something there bud ! PM me a price and location (IF) you don't want it. or e-mail at [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.