Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Sue gets home after a driving rainstorm dumped several inches on us. She's putting some groceries for a picnic tomorrow in our extra garage fridge and notices it's not very cold. Then opens the freezer and meat is thawing. So I kept an eye on it and a few hours later decide to pull it out and vacuum the back out to improve air flow. As I pulled it out, I noticed a copper and brown colored snake. Oh crap! So I pull out the fridge a bit more and grabbed a light. Whew! Milk snake, NOT a copperhead.

Tried to get it in a net, and when I did, it split two ways. 2 snakes! One went up behind the drywall between the house and the garage. The other into the back of the fridge. A few minutes later it came out and headed into the wall. I tried to grab the tail bit it slipped out of my hand. Now both snakes are in the wall. Solid 30 inchers. Big milk snakes. I guess I interrupted them mating. Not really worried about them. I live in the woods and I have mice, therefore I have snakes. Just hope they don't try to snuggle up to us in bed. LOL

Good thing is we caught the fridge going bad in time. Moved everything over to the other spare fridge. Could have been a rotten mess in this heat we're having!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Forget the refrigerator.
What about the Damsnakes?
I won't be coming by for a visit again.....

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I think I would have had the shivers too. If I can get a good look at the head or tail, it sure helps with my mental state.
I f they can get into the walls, it's a damsurething meeces can too.
They're prob worth their weight X 10 per year for the rodents they eat and their exponential offspring.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Dag gone Charley! One way or the other the snakes would have to be evicted from the house unless they payed rent in cash if living here. EEEKK.:eek: Glad you saved the freezer contents though.

Maybe the snakes would make good hat bands or something.:rolleyes:WD

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I appreciate a nice (non-leathal) "hisser" here on the "ranch". They are welcome to catch all the gophers, mice and moles they can catch 'round here...and there's plenty of them vermin around to eat too! (IFESTED...is a word that comes to mind!)

Apparently, this one is feeding itself on a regular basis. A GOOD THING.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Melissa said she would have liked to have had a couple of'em here Charlie...
She had been after a mouse for a week, finally caught it. She would rather
have a snake than a mouse...lol

Underdog

·
Administrator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charlie, your bad luck with any appliance that is supposed to make cold has to be legendary.
Tom,

They say things happen in 3's. Truck, house a/c qnd now the freezer. Should be good to go for awhile....knock on wood.

The free freezer was off CL this morning already, but I found a newer, smaller on 1/2hr away and ran up and picked it up. The guy had it running. 0 degrees. Got it home and filled up already.

Oh, and the snake's still there. Tell Melissa she can come get it.;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
LOL - just had a lil playful session on a worksite with one I walked up on. Still not sure if it was a Northern Water Snake of a Milk....didnt look close enuf at the time. Thinking NWS cuz it was tryin to strike at me constantly - they say the are cranky lil s**ts. I'm no snake fan, but I dont kill em if they're not poisonous either. I've learned to let em keep the mouse pop's down around the buildings and vehicles, and life is better.

·
Administrator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I caught a small NWS when I was about 12. Planned to keep it as a pet. That lasted a whole 2 hrs. Mom didn't particularly care for the idea. They are mean bastards for sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Uh Charlie
Burn it down!!!!!!
Me and ole Sam won't be stopping by lol

I need to tell ya the snake story from Sam's house about 10 years ago!

You will get a laugh out of it for sure

·
Administrator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jeeze, you guys are a bunch of Sissies. :p The snakes are still there as of last night. I think I caught them "in the act" again. I just hope they leave, and lay their eggs outside somewhere. I have a feeling 20-30 pencil sized babies would show up everywhere in the house. Not sure Miss Sue would care for that.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I have heard the Cajun boys SNAKE story, and I agree with Sammy.
Charlie, Either Me or the snakes would be leaving soon.....

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
jeeze, you guys are a bunch of Sissies. :p The snakes are still there as of last night. I think I caught them "in the act" again. I just hope they leave, and lay their eggs outside somewhere. I have a feeling 20-30 pencil sized babies would show up everywhere in the house. Not sure Miss Sue would care for that.
Yeah, I agree w/ you Charlie.

Far as trading infestation from mice to snakes goes, I don't see a that happening.

In my experience here on the ranch, a snake infestation hasn't been an issue at all. At least bullsnakes seem to be very elusive; hardly ever see one. But, they leave a few shed skins around, so I know they're in the vicinity.

Garter snakes are ovoviviparous which means the females don't lay eggs, but rather give birth to their babies (as many as 80(!) which are fully independent at birth). I don't know if bullsnakes are ovoviviparous or not (give birth vs. lay eggs). But, I could see how having a herd of little "hissers" scurrying around and faking strikes at ppl at a dinner party :eek: might upset "a few" guests!:D

Snakes are quite clean - not slimy, dirty or nasty critters at all. But, most people have the same initial visceral (inborn) reaction when they see one whether poisonous or not...KILL IT! :eek: That's too bad, cuz most are non-poisonous and live their lives doing us all a favor...if we just let them! (It's a "mind over matter" kind of thing, I guess!)

That said, I'll dispatch a true "buzztail" on a prairie dog patch in a heartbeat. Mike Jones and I have cleaned and cooked one while hunting PDs with Rick Fox and Don McCutchen and the rest of the PD safari gang...tastes like chicken!:)

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I'll betcha a Panda to a 10-22 you didn't cook it in Rick's skillet!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I'll betcha a Panda to a 10-22 you didn't cook it in Rick's skillet!
Oh, you remember the story then...:D

I heard the same thing about some cross-dressers, and some guys who wear lace on their panties - ALSO tend to refuse to cook a snake in their fine skillet.

Course, Rick is a MAN'S MAN. He wouldn't don a dress or lace either; I'm sure....well pretty sure....(I thnk:rolleyes:))

1 - 20 of 22 Posts