Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe our supplier (Jerry's) doesn't carry the Lee Resizing Lube that comes highly recommended for bullet waxing. Are there any other products that one can use for waxing bullets? Was thinking of maybe trying TC Bore butter, or even imperial sizing wax? Yeah, I could order Lee lube from online, but it'll be $10 for a $2 item with shipping. Looking for something more readily available.

Charlie

·
Registered
519 Posts
Back when moly coating

first became vouge, I bought all the stuff to do it and the guy I bought it from, recommended, after the moly, dumping the bullets into corncob media, treated with carnuba wax and tumbling for a few minutes. The idea was to coat the bullets with wax to keep the moly from rubbing off. After I got over moly coating and read about waxing bullets, I threw some in the tumbler with the wax treated cob and tumbled them for about 15 minutes, shazam, instant carnuba waxed bullets. You might try it.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Midway has a sale on Lee Resizing Lube for $2 + and of course there is shipping.
On the other hand, why use it at all? I put my bullets in the viabrater with some moly for about 1 1/2 hrs with no other media other than a little moly. I then put them in with some corn cob media for about a minute. They come out nice and shinny and clean. Been doing this for five years with no problems.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The thing about Lee Lube is, there's really nothing else like it. And it works. If you have to mailorder, lots of suppliers sell it. If you're worried about shipping cost on just one tube, there must be something else you need that would fill out an order. Best to get several tubes anyway. Once you find out how well that stuff works you'll be using it on every bullet, and also for case lubing which takes a lot more. Mixed with water and microwaved into a thick liquid, it works well for neckturning.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Charlie, where are you at. I need to round out a $25.00 order at Midway and I could parcel post the Lee Lube after I get my order. I just cant stand to pay the extra $3.00 for a small order. Lemmie know,.

T.D.C.

·
Registered
94 Posts
not to steal the post, But how are you guys applying the Lee lube to the bullets and getting them ready for reloading?? I have a tube and would like to try for my Mach IV on some 20 gr Vmax bullets.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're right Ackman

The thing about Lee Lube is, there's really nothing else like it. And it works. If you have to mailorder, lots of suppliers sell it. If you're worried about shipping cost on just one tube, there must be something else you need that would fill out an order. Best to get several tubes anyway. Once you find out how well that stuff works you'll be using it on every bullet, and also for case lubing which takes a lot more. Mixed with water and microwaved into a thick liquid, it works well for neckturning.
There's LOTS I need, just didn't want to go spending a lot right now. I found another supplier, we can get it into the shop.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in PA, but...

Charlie, where are you at. I need to round out a $25.00 order at Midway and I could parcel post the Lee Lube after I get my order. I just cant stand to pay the extra $3.00 for a small order. Lemmie know,.

T.D.C.
thanks for the offer, but I have some coming from another supplier. You'd probably end up spending the same amount shipping to me anyway.

Charlie

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
post per Keith Candler's instructions to me...

not to steal the post, But how are you guys applying the Lee lube to the bullets and getting them ready for reloading?? I have a tube and would like to try for my Mach IV on some 20 gr Vmax bullets.

Waxing bullets is as follows:

You need a wide mouth plastic jug like mayonnaise comes in that restaurants use or a plastic one gallon tea jug that is round.

Squirt the first joint of your index finger full of Wax.
Smear the wax all along the insides of the jug.
Put in 100-200 bullets in the jug and screw the lid on.
Next swirl the bullets around the outside edges of the jug like in a centrifuge.
Dump the bullets on a paper towel and separate them from touching each other.

What you want to see is the bullets having a dull milky color with out big globs of wax on them.

If you are in a hurry to load the bullets, put the paper towel in the frig and in about 30 minutes the bullets will be done (the wax has to set up on the bullets).

The wax lowers the pressure, so you will have to work up a load for the waxed bullets independent from the naked bullets.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I tried the TC Bore Butter

I "waxed" a bunch of 25 gr Hornady 17 cal bullets yesterday with TC Bore Butter, and set them in the fridge to "set up" while I charged my cases. The bore butter waxing seems to help, at least better than naked bullets as far as fouling goes, and accuracy was under 1" at 100. ES and SD's were pretty good, (<50). I wish I had shot some naked bullets with those loads to compare naked vs. waxed. Maybe next time.

Charlie

·
Registered
735 Posts
Any kind of a margarine tub or something like that will work. I use those rubbermaid tubs with a real strong snap on lid. The 1 pint size for 22cal and larger, the 8 oz size for 17. Put a fingerfull of lube in several places around the inside, then dump in a few hundred bullets and tumble.....turn the container over and over. After about 15-20 seconds you'll see just a thin milky film covering the sides of the tub. Don't swirl.....tumbling gets them coated much better.

Then keep the bullets stored in those same tubs. I label and stack them by caliber and weight.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the wax is the possibility of picking up microgrit and running it thru the bore on the bullets. This would probably only be possible in a hunting situation, where you have rounds in the magazine while out walking around. I think the wax precludes carrying rounds in your pocket, too. A good chance you'd rub the wax off. I wish there was a dry lube that worked as well.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Some people swear by Fastex, which is sold by board sponsor Northland Supply/Jim Briggs. It is more expensive and requires a mild heat to bond it to the bullet surface, I think 140°F. It claims to form a one-molecule thick dry film lube, and not build up in the bore. By the way, the Lee lube dries pretty thoroughly after a few hours and adheres well. Short of dropping some rounds on the ground, I wouldn't worry too much about picking up dirt.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I sell a kit

Charlie,

I sell a kit to people I know and feel I know you from the board so here's the deal. Kit will handle up to 200 rounds of 20 or 224 caliber bullet. There is an option for larger calibers at extra cost.

Only $ 19.95 plus shipping. Order 2 or more and and shipping is free.:D

Or you can use a butter tub and do it all for nothing:eek:

Rick

PS: moly bullets are only an example my marketing manager isn't to bright.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I tried Fastex, but couldn't see much improvement in cleaning, or anything else. I know some people swear by it. That Lee lube is pretty soft, and it doesn't take much to pick up dust, etc. I've been using it, and I know it works, but I still think there's some chance of picking up grit. Plus you have to be more careful handling your ammo. Calling predators, you're always chambering, unchambering...maybe several times with the same loaded round. It's something to think about, anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.