Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
hope it works better than the other POS rifle they make....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, accidentally hit enter key

Kel-Tech announced this new Bullpup in .308 Win at the Shot Show this week.

Amazing specs, which you can download here from this link to their web site:

http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downloads/RFB_Flyer_SHOT_2007_web.pdf

This is one bad-ass firearm, and might be worth getting while they are still available for sale.

Here below is a photo of a guy at the Kel-Tec booth holding the 18 " barrel carbine version. Now that rifle looks sweet! The previous photo from the brochure for the rifle illustrates the model that has a 32" barrel, and meant for long range shooting.

Lance in Oregon

Very cool indeed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When they come out I will be getting one

Cavtrooper ......hope it works better than the other POS rifle they make....

I have owned a Kel-Tec SU16 223 since they came out a few yrs ago and from my experiences I do not consider it a POS. It is the perfect light weight truck/tractor/backpacking rifle. It is not a benchrest rifle but it is more than capable as a minute of fur rifle. I have shot many a coyote and bobcat with it, as a matter of fact if you have to walk a couple of miles into a calling stand,like I do in a couple of spots, you will really like the light weight of the SU16. It has never failed to feed or fire or deliver 40 or 50gr Vmax to it's intended target. I would be interested in hearing what you base your POS comment on because I have no beef with the company or it's products what so ever.

Oh Ya, I also have a few real Ar's , Bushmaster 16' A1, Armalite 20" A2 , Bushmaster Carbon 15, and a Colt SP1.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The basis of my POS comment was the two SU-16Cs that I owned for a time. I was very excited about a light weight carry rifle that shot better than a mini 14 and was less expensive than a AR. The fact that it would feed from AR mags.. BOUNS! Well the first one I had started out with problems from the jump, wouldnt feed from the factory mag and wouldnt extract the rounds from the chamber when it did. This was on the first trip to the range! Took it to the shop, they called Kel-Tec and got me a new mag. New mag came, same problem. Called Kel-Tec again, they said "send it back". Traded the guy at the shop for the other one he had in stock. The second one fed and extracted just fine for the first 100 or so rounds I put through it than the double feeds began. I was using AR mags so I switched back to the factory mags and the problem continued. Didnt want to deal with it any longer so I took it back and traded it in on a Savage and called it a learning experience. Ive read that some folks have nothing but problems and others get pure gold from thier rifles, maybe Im just unlucky. When the QC issues are all worked out and there is a consistently good rifle coming from Kel-Tec, I will look into getting another, but until then Im shooting bolt guns. However that new rifle does look pretty awsome, Id like to see one in person.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cavtrooper ......hope it works better than the other POS rifle they make....

I have owned a Kel-Tec SU16 223 since they came out a few yrs ago and from my experiences I do not consider it a POS. It is the perfect light weight truck/tractor/backpacking rifle. It is not a benchrest rifle but it is more than capable as a minute of fur rifle. I have shot many a coyote and bobcat with it, as a matter of fact if you have to walk a couple of miles into a calling stand,like I do in a couple of spots, you will really like the light weight of the SU16. It has never failed to feed or fire or deliver 40 or 50gr Vmax to it's intended target. I would be interested in hearing what you base your POS comment on because I have no beef with the company or it's products what so ever.

Oh Ya, I also have a few real Ar's , Bushmaster 16' A1, Armalite 20" A2 , Bushmaster Carbon 15, and a Colt SP1.

Agreed! It won't typically be as accurate as a souped up AR, but it does what it's supposed to do quite well. I used mine as an "easy carry" rifle for PD's last year. Topped with a 3x9 it was good out to about 200yds as I walked up on 'em while other rifles cooling. Plus there are few more fun plinking guns.

The company has been great re. customer service as well. I had a problem with the extractor on a pistol, they had a new, improved on in the mail immediately after the phone call. No charge. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fair enough Cavtrooper

I am sorry to hear of your problems. Too many people on the web are experts about things that they have never owned or even seen first hand. I must have gotten a good one and will continue to work the heck out of it for as long as it lasts and then see how their lifetime warranty works. I do know all about the factory 10rnd mags, they are just too weak to hold all 10 rounds over time without stretching the feedlips out. I have heard rumor that anyone with the first generation mags can return them for the new stronger models but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have been a fan of Ket Tec products and carry one most of the time in the summer. I have a Grendel, P32, P3AT and a P11... I am up to my ears in plastic, LOL. I guess when the 308 comes out they will have a new big brother.

Keith

·
Registered
102 Posts
KBZ, the customer service was great, no doubt. The P-11 I own is a fine pistol for its purpose. The Kel-Tec products are good, just not the rifles I got. Like I said before, when the QC issues are worked out (they may already be) I will look into a new SU-16, not going back to mini-14 thats for sure!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I could'nt help myself. 308 and a loooooooong barrel, I contacted them via email to find out where to buy one, and if they'd mind if I did a T&E on one with hand loads.
30+ inch barrel and 190 grain bullets in a 308, man Oh man!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was curious, too..

.. I had seen the little .223 folder a while back in a local shop.. The idea looked neat but ya know how that goes.. It looked to be a sweet little package, if I could put a scope on it, for when I'm using the tractor or some other activity where a full size rifle is cumbersome.. But the looks of it kept bringing to mind those "Hi-Point" gizmos I've avoided like the plague..
..Still tho', my little Kel-Tec "credit card pistol" has performed great when I've tried it.. And if some semblance of MOA was achievable with the Kel-Tec folder I wouldn't be ashamed of it..
.. I reckon we just hafta keep our minds open to new things and try them.. The cost of the education can get high but the experience gained is priceless.. OTOH, some of those "experiences" are the basis for going to "Alert Status" when eyeing new gadgets.! :rolleyes: :D d:^) Jake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts