Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another forum I frequent people were talking about stock piling ammo in this shortage. In the years ahead of my retiring I tried to ensure I would have enough to last me for quite a few years. I load all my rifle and shotgun ammo and at the present time at the rate I shoot now I have enough components for 10ys at least. I have always loved shooting 22 rimfires although I don't shoot them as much now as I use to. I have three 5,000 cases of 22 rimfire ammo plus other ammo to go with it so I am not worried.

I was wondering if anyone had done similar over the years.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Only thing i need to be comfortable is primers...but i have enough to wait it out i hope....no way im paying 80 bucks plus shipping and hazmat...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
George….we wouldn‘t do that. I only buy what I need. In fact I used some primers just this year that had 89 cents sticker on it….😱 They still went Bang>>>

Reactions: george in KY

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have more reloading components than I will probably ever shoot except primers. I started collecting when Obama was elected. I bought the one box of pistol primes I have seen since this mess and sold it to a guy that had none. As I type this it occurred to me I hear much less shooting at the gun club near me.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
All the gun shops around here have no hunting ammo here, The only thing I'm a little light on is large rifle primers, I texted a buddy of mine last night and he is going to trade me 1000 LR for 1000 small pistol primers and I'll be in good shape. Crazy stuff!!!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Another much larger forum I post on has ongoing Ammo Seek threads. I have seen Plenty of 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 also 9mm Ammo lately at Rural king and a couple larger stores
None at bargain prices, but plenty out there. Hunting Ammo is very scarce.

Primers. Not available anywhere n quantity except Spotty finds for high prices. I do not think you will EVER see them available for less than what Coyote George says "he ain't payin."
I have some stashed, but I thought I had more than I do when SHTF.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse just opened a new store here on the southside of Indy. I mentioned it a couple of days ago but here it is again. Tuesday, they had small and large pistol primers and large rifle primers for $42-$50 per thousand. Limit one box per customer per day. I ended up with 3K small pistol and 8 lbs of W231. ($150 for the 231) Went back yesterday. I would've bought 1K large rifle just because somebody I know surely could use them but there were no primers left. I bought 2 boxes of 90 gr Federal Fusion .224V ammo and a lb of 2230. They didn't have much powder and I suspect it's all gone by now. However, they had more ammo, in a wide variety, than I've seen in over a year. Lots of 5.56 and 7.62 NATO type stuff and a decent supply of many other rifle calibers. Wide election of common handgun calibers from .380 to 45 Colt. I think there was a 5 box limit on ammo. Don't know how the prices compared but the inventory was good. I take it as a good sign!

Reactions: george in KY

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
About the only thing I could use more of is small rifle primers, I did get 1000 a while back from Midway, paid dearly by the time they got here.
And can always use 17HMRs, seem to go thru more of them than anything, carry it all summer for p-dogs and other critters.
Have plenty of 22lr, just don't have a count on them.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
756 Posts
I didn't stock pile . In the past I purchased in volume to get better prices . I'm fortunate I also enjoy the clay target sports . If I run out of rifle supplies I'll start shooting clays again . With the rifle I know I can go 1 more year if I conserved maybe 2 years and about the same with the shotgun sports . At Sarasota gun club I believe a round of skeet cost 7.00 a round that alone will be done sparingly at that cost . It doesn't seem that long ago I was paying 2.00 a round of skeet plus shells . Nope I didn't stock pile and I never will .

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never thought I would see gas below $2 a gallon several years ago. Who would ever think chicken wings and brisket would be priced where it is today? That was poor people’s cuts when I was a kid.

I will hold out like I did the last go around with ammo and supplies. Yeah I may or may not come out, that is part of the gamble.

I sold off a fairly large number of Winchester.22’s I had been collecting for about 25 years, that was the first go around with .22RF ammo a few years ago. I in turn reinvested those funds into other firearms people were trading off on AR’s.

22RF match/target ammo came back around to a sensible price. I took advantage of several group buys, even though at that point I had no rifle worthy of that type of ammo. I had missed my WW52 and an Anshutz more than I figured. I had KIDD build me a rifle and later fell into a killer deal on a Bergara. I figure I am situated there for a long while.

It seems there is powder available but little in the way of primers. One is of little use with out the other. I saw powder sell for “stupid” money a few short months ago, primers were worse. Yet I see powder prices of what I expect to pay. Seems there was an average percentage price increase every year or two in the past.

I won’t cry wolf. Nor will I pay ridiculous prices. This falls into what my folks preached to me, the difference between wants and needs. If I pay a steep price, it will be for a need, then no more than I have use for.

Just the other day I saw a fellow drop a weeks wages on some 5.7x28 ammo. Sorry gents, I myself would have a hard time pulling the trigger for what he paid per round for that ammo, just to punch holes in paper or blast tin cans.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Primers. Not available anywhere n quantity except Spotty finds for high prices. I do not think you will EVER see them available for less than what Coyote George says "he ain't payin."
I have some stashed, but I thought I had more than I do when SHTF.
Those of you who knew Don McCutcheon can just see him shaking his head and grinning, can't you? When the previous primer apocalypse occurred (8-10 years ago, maybe?), I think Don was the only one I knew who was truly in good shape and not worrying one bit. I think he even helped out a few friends, and I doubt he gouged them, either.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
When I started reloading pistols back in '91 or'92, I lived near a commercial reloading company. I could buy their bullets and primers at very good prices. I remember getting primers for $7.50 a thousand. When I started loading for rifles, I started watching prices and going to gun shows that have a couple of dealers who dealt in reloading supplies for rifles. Before Clinton was elected, I built two pre-ban AR's to be able to have them legally, primarily to shoot High Power. That got me into making sure I had a decent supply of things I needed. Starting getting preferred primers by the case and powders when the prices were right. My practice was to keep an eye on stock and buy what I needed when supplies got low. That has been a good practice for me.

I have bought ammo for battle rifles. Bought it right at the time and haven't needed to use much of it, especially after getting into shooting PDs and other small varmints with smaller calibers. Health issues have slowed me down a lot lately.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
KFISHMAN, you need to keep a watch on Academy Sports in Elizabethtown. They have primers of some sort almost each week, with a 300 limit and they don't last long.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
KF, I am afraid ole Don rubbed off on me, I started hoarding primers, and powder back when Clinton was in office and they started talking about a shelf life on them and powders. I can shoot at my regular pace, which is about every day, within reason, the rest of my life on what i have, and can help a few fellows out from time to time.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Got an email today from Brownell‘s advertising CCI Benchrest Primers. I was in their retail store in September and they were selling these for $65 per 1,000. Now they are $125. Seems like that is what I was paying per 5,000 just a few years ago.
Product Font Material property Software Screenshot

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
On another forum I frequent people were talking about stock piling ammo in this shortage. In the years ahead of my retiring I tried to ensure I would have enough to last me for quite a few years. I load all my rifle and shotgun ammo and at the present time at the rate I shoot now I have enough components for 10ys at least. I have always loved shooting 22 rimfires although I don't shoot them as much now as I use to. I have three 5,000 cases of 22 rimfire ammo plus other ammo to go with it so I am not worried.

I was wondering if anyone had done similar over the years.
I'm about like you, George. I got caught short during one of the past shortages, I don't remember which one, and I learned to stay stocked up. I'm hesitant to say in public what I have but I try to keep enough ammo and components to last 2 election cycles.

My main need right now are some Sierra Hunting Bullets. I'm not out, just low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts