Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to be up late so thought I'd play the role of early bird 'cept I am going to retire shortly.

Had my ...........handed to me at the range trying to shoot groups with a dot scope at 50yds - Mod 41 S&W. Dismal and abysmal were the results. Wind was kicking up and I knew there would be a learning curve, but wow, no tangible results trying to see which bulk box type ammo was best suited for my particular pistol. Going to have to retrieve a Ransom Rest that was offered to me some years back and buy the appropriate hands for my BE battery. There is a learning curve to operating one of those also, so will be keeping the rf and cf mfrs cranking.

To be honest, I had serious doubts as to the wisdom trying to use a dot for precision work and they were confirmed. Mine did not lend themselves to the task. Dana's old 41 that my bud bought has a superfine ROUND dot that would probably work better. But by the time he was through with a range chore (he had all the help he needed and sheet metal isn't my strong suit) I was about shot out. So we tried to scare some 50' BE targets at 50 yds then finally wised up and brought'em in to 25. Either way, had an enjoyable afternoon.

Glad Paul busted the pheasant yesterday, hope the TN shoot went well and we are close to closing out Ought Six shortly friends. Hope it was a good year for all.

Time to snzzzxxxxxxx.:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
had a blast at BBBuck Creek shoot saturday

well the old doc (stone that is) made a very impressive first showing at a 100 yd. shoot for score yesterday. He was one shot from finishing first place. in the third match He closed the bolt, pushed the stock forward back into battery, and while pulling his hand back to the trigger accidentally touched the trigger and the shot went off hitting the paper but not in the sighter area. he went ahead and shot the target getting another x but the miss cost him 10 points. He would have had a 250 24x which would have been first place. Nevertheless, that's good shooting anywhere. Congrats Doc!!!! John beauchamp finished first and greyfox second (i believe, sorry if i am wrong).
Jr.of Ky came over and brought his son, JR of Kansas. enjoyed meeting him. also met Ky. Fisherman and Kermit of Vir. Some of the other shooters
were Jackie stogsdil, Danny Hensley, bill goddard, don M., todd, and others. 14 shooters were in attendance.
after the match several went to the Cracker Barrel for lunch and had a great time. the fellowship and comroderie with these guys was wonderful. I felt like they were old friends although i came to know all these guys only this year of '06.
2006 was a great year for me. i met so many new shooters by attending various shoots in the area. as far as i am concerned, you can't find a better bunch of people than the guys in the varmints den. Everone have a great new year's holiday and try to find some trigger time!!!!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Good (Pouring the Rain) Morning in TN (very long)

Well alright then=
Its pouring rain and looks like 2006 ends wet.=
The fun shoot @ Buck Creek was like old home week
as We had 16 shooters and the best of hospitality
from Jackie S. and the Range Rats as usual=
Shooting conditions were near perfect and little to no wind=go figure= for
Dec. 30th= strange=??=but we'll take it=
Ole Birdog has so many good guns now
He needs an assistant to keep the reloading data straight and
He's wantin' Nurse Not soGoodBody to volunteer for duty=(ain't gonna happen)
KY Fisherman and his significant other(spelled goodlooking girl friend)
were there and we all got to have supper together (lotta fun)
John Beauchamp finished on top w/ score of 250/22x's (good shootin' John)
Don M. made an impressive showing w/ his 6PPC (he always shoots good)
wishing Paul, Ami, WD, Ole Murph, James in Ashville. Kenny U,Fred,Lee B.,George,Memphis 220,James P., Teresa, Ricky B.,and all the others BBB regulars
could have been there
JR in KY came by and I gave him another beautiful BIG ORANGE CAP=[G]
Don't put it on NO stinking yoddle dogs LOL
=a good time had by all=
got to go to Reolading Dungeon and work some=
thanks friends for a great year=very thankful
over and out
Doc:)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Morning Tom, Randy, Doc & Tha GGVG Gang

A goooooooooooooood morning to everyone from a wet & rainy Southern,
Bluegrass. 57 warm degrees here this morning. I sure had a great time at
the Buck Creek Range & Shooting Emporium yesterday. Great bunch of
fellows from 3 or 4 states there yesterday. It was good to be back pulling
the trigger again. Looking forward to shooting much more in the year of 07,
Varmint For Score, hoping to make 2 PD Trips, and maybe get in a little
Coyote calling, and sure looking forward to deer season again in 07. Well,
I see that the "Two Tennessee Robots" are up and attum going strong,
reckon that doesn't surprise anyone (they are like the bunny on TV). Old
Doc did really well at the shoot yesterday, but, he just gotta learn to keep
his trigger finger out of the trigger shoe until he is ready to shoot. ;) I
sure did enjoy "Tha Old Grey Roosters" hunting post late yesterday. Reckon
tha "old phardt" was all tuckered out and still snoozin on the roost pole
once again ! :) Guess "The Poor Old Farmer" is still busy strooling the ditch-
lines in and around North Central Ohio trying to fill up the fuel tank on that
huge traveling Diesel Drinking Mobile Home. Here's wishing everyone a great
day today, and as we approach 2007, a very enjoyable, safe, healthy and
prosperous New Year. Attend the church of your choice today with your
family. God will bless you.

Don M.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Reckon tha "old phardt" was all tuckered out and still snoozin on the roost pole
once again ! :) Don M.
U recon right!! And, also a handful of Aleve!:rolleyes:

Mornin U ol phardt!! Yeah, twas a good time - mostly watching Buddy! Next year I figger I'll have you "birddog" too - kind of a rookie's initiation, doancha know... I kin imagine you on your handz n knees fetchin a pheasant in you mouth...just once! :D

P.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good Morning Guys

Doc, I admit I got agrivated when I heard all the folks going to shoot. I guess I was jealous that you had somewhere to go shoot. Man it's the dead sea round here. I wish I could have made it just to been around and watched and yap with everyone. Like Birdog said, just met some of the folks at the BBB but a bond was made there and I wasnt to get back up. Maybe in May.

Well I 'm still putting it on and taking it off but it's looking better all the time...the finish on the stock. Everyone have a great day today..hear?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Mornin TA, bd, doc, ol phardt, n GGVGers!!

Yep! Twas a good time yesterday huntin boidies. I was supposed to have a friend of mine along, but he over slept and had is phone on "vibrate" when I called. Butcha know...Sometimes being alone w/ a pooch is the best way to hunt. Just the two of you working together as a team w/o distractions.

Good to see everyone had a good time at "Jackie's Joint"! When it comes to new rifles, I've got 'em lined up like fence posts...in my mind, that is. First is likely gonna be a S-Sa-Salvage (whew!) LRVP in .204 or .223 (or both???); one for factory class comp at the BBB/TG, and the other bbl for PD Safari 07, 08, 09...:D The second might just have to be a 30BR. (Know anyone that can put a decent chamber on a barrel?...Just kiddin' ya Jackie!!;) )

Well, I don't know 'bout y'all, but I'll be looking forward to a better year, work wise. As for the rest, it was another wonderful year in soooo many ways for Ami and me. I'll count my many blessings and be very happy, and hoping even better times next year for all of you AND the Workman household as well!

Y'all have a good un!

P.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Good morning all from the Mountain State

Temps into the mid 50's today but rain on the way. I hope you have a great day in your neck of the woods, take the family to church today. God Bless, God be with our troops in harms way.
Joe

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good Morning Everyone!

The sunrise is beautiful here in the Cumberland Valley of So./Cent. PA. It makes one glad to be on the right side of the globe. Sure hope everyone has a great new years eve. Be careful with the celebrations, and from the Murphy household to everyone, HAPPY NEW YEAR. Bill.............

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good Morning TA & Everyone!

Good Sunday Morning to ya all! Sounds like the crew that went a shootin yesterday had a good time, I haven't ever been out to Jackies and not had a good time, he is a fine feller! It's pouring the rain outside and is suppose to all day, heavy at times so we will have to grab the rain gear after while. Take care and you all have a great day and blessed day! :)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Morning all,

62° in the Graveyard Hollow and very wet. Yesterday @ Buck Creek was outstanding . The only drag is the three hour drive each way, but it's worth it.
Paul, let me add my congrats for the hunting story. I'll share a little Bushmills with you for that one next time we get together.

Y'all have a good day and try to stay dry.

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts