Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
They best scope you can afford. A lot of my (our) scopes cost more than the rifles

Reactions: lightman

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
For me, Tom, one of the biggest things was really understanding that the wind can move a bullet that much.

Most of the matches I shoot are UBR, where you have 10 minutes to shoot six record bulls, plus however many sighter shots you want. Let's say the condition I've chosen is a lull, zero or almost zero wind. Even if the wind is blowing steady at 10-12, there will be some short periods when it drops. One of the hardest things for me is to force myself to wait, wait, wait for my condition. Ignore what the other shooters are doing, because they have likely picked other conditions. So, you wait and when your condition arrives, you have to get real busy and get off as many controlled record shots as possible. As soon as I see the wind start to pick back up the least, I have to stop. And wait. Again.

Since the wind is a real thing, and since it moves the bullet, it helps me to watch the relay right before mine. I'm not watching the shooters, I'm watching the wind flags. Sometimes I'll even run a stopwatch and click it on and off when my condition shows up and then leaves. Maybe my condition is showing up more/longer than earlier in the day. Or maybe it's showing up less. There's no guarantee, but I rhink watching the relay before mine and paying attention to the wind helps a little.

When watching, maybe I discover my condition is no longer showing up at all, but the wind now is blowing at a steady speed from a certain direction. That tells me I should consider abandoning my original condition, going with the new one, and firing a couple of sighters to see where that new condition puts the bullet and how much I need to hold off.

There are several books by top benchrest shooters that deal with the wind extensively. One is Tony Boyer's book, and there are others I can't recall right now.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Wind flags are an absolute must and so is understanding what they’re saying. This goes hand in hand what the Fisherman was saying. I think you said earlier that you haven’t competed yet in matches. I think the best advise I can give you is to attend a few matches before you invest a lot of money buying the gadget du jour. Find out who is setting up next to you and help him set his flags. He’ll be endeared to you forever.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
A little, in this case a LOT of levity, from the Roogers. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts