Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have found out, a bolt gun possibly in a 7mm Mag. was downloaded to maybe half of regular charge to produce a reduced load. Results were a detonation of cartridge and rifle with bolt coming back and striking shooter's face, barrel and action destroyed. These are the reasons why we should all not stray from published reloading data and not experiment in a reckless manner............l.s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What happend earlier...

Were there other incidents involving reduced loads?????
There is a lot of missunderstanding about em....most folks think you just use or put in less powder and you will slow the bullet down...in a typical hunting cal. you would use 60 gr of a generally slow burning powder....if you cut this down to 20-30 gr thinking you would cut the velocity in half ,,,you are wrong....I am posting this because of the missunderstanding of reduced velocity loads....
Most people that reload ammo would never use a pistol or shotgun powder in their ammo....thinking that they would blow up their gun and themselves...but as someone familiar with reduced loads knows ...this is the only safe way to do it.....a reduced charge of 4831 or 4350 is very likely to over pressure and cause just what happend to the individuals rifle at Kennmore...
If you know someone who is contemplating reduced loads.....warn him/her and consult the proper manuals and individuals that have expxerience with this type of ammo.......Roger ..
OBTW.....I think this is the range at Kennmore....I visited it while out there on vacation last yr.....it is very different from the ranges that I am so used to in the country setting that I live in here in West Virginia.....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....previous was a fireforming incident

The incident before this involved a PPC type cartridge where rifleman was fireforming but used a powder of a different burn rate.......the effect could have been several times over maximum. Another vote for only keeping the powder you are using on the table. Kenmore is in Bothell, Wa. only a 15 min. drive where we have public use of a 100 yd., handgun 25 yd. range on weekends.........let me know next time you're out this way..........l.r.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know what action this was?
Very unusual for a Mauser derivative to blow the bolt backward...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ek.........

I asked the rangemaster if they had taken pictures and such was not the case, will ask another rangemaster later on & gather more details. Shooter was a fireman and his own "buds" came to haul him away..........l.r.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be interested in hearing.
The ONLY instances that I have heard of -- involving modern, bolt-action rifles -- where the bolt blew backward, injuring the shooter, were with a straight-pull design...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like Range #1 out to 300 yd.

Have to have special tag/training session to shoot over there, mostly BR boys. Range #2 is right next door, for public use, 50 and 100 yds, then Pistol is further over to the right, runs only on weekends. OK......I'll bring the rifles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts