Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be on here all the time, shot .220Swift on yotes, shot 6br in 1000 yrd matches for a couple of years, retired to 500 yard yotes with the 6, then shot 200 yard matches nearly 10 years? or so, used mostly Sako 75V in .222, and a Sako 6ppc, and a couple of 40XBRs in 6x47 and a custom 700 in .30BR.......then I started shooting mostly GASP! arrows......and still calling coyotes with the old Mauser 98 in .220Swift..
Now our son has twin boys 14, another is 10, little brother is 9, and the cycle is beginning again.
Boys shoot a little bit of .22s, and we just got their first centerfire, Savage bolt XP Axis youth in .350 Legend for deer. Twins will be taught on it, & hunt one-at-a-time.
any .350 Legend stories or advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for welcome George, my rifles now are just a first year I THINK 10-.22 and the ole .220Swift, Mauser 98, pencil barrell, not sure barrell maker, cousin Ray in St. Louis was buying tons of barrels back when he made mine around 1972. OH and I have Dad's old 1965-missed the cut by one year - push feed Win 70 .243. I stuck an old Redfield 2-1/2x Cub? post-reticle scope on it yers ago for Dad, he wanted a lower powered scope after I got him into chasing coyotes with me. I sold off the good 30br & 6br & .222s to friends, I also let go the 6PPC Sako & 40-x BBRs - I had a heck of a time getting consistency with the 6ppc and the 6x47s.......shoot lights out one day & another day pretty ho-hum......did not spend much time looking for better powder combos.......6br and 30br and .222s all seemed to shoot well SO EASY.
BY THE WAY somewhere I mentioned 1000 yard matches......I gave it a good go but I stunk up the place most of 2 years. I shot OK I THOUGHT with the 8 twist Krieger-30" tube 6br, but sitting next to all the .338 Lapuas I realized I was late to the 1000 yard party. So I have a friend that is a butcher, so I started getting pickup loads of trimmings and etc. and dumping them at a range-finder'ed 500 yards on a hill......I'd go out in coveralls & sit at the bench with coffee, 6 bagged up & ready......Balvar 12x-32x at 32x......dead on at 500 yards with 87 grain V-max......and wait for critters. They'd be up there dancing & having a good time, feeling safe.....hha.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Welcome back. We like to talk about the good ole days, and brag on the grandkids….LOL
You’ll fit right in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our grandsons are twins 14, one 10, one is 9.
All 4 are good athletes, play several kinds of ball.
2 youngers both their teams won Little League district titles & then went to state and both their teams got 3rd in State.
All 4 pitch some & play shortstop, and 2nd and 3rd base some.
They play basketball & soccer too, local league & travelling teams some......off & on so far they play football too.
Lot of fun for Grandpa & Grandma.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Sounds like a good source of fun family time with Grams and the Grands.
Things have changed here n there but basically the same general campfire flavor as 2004. It seems the Ayem Call carries 70% of the traffic from cats, damcows, dogs, weather, short fishing reports, medical reports, hay making, grass cutting, garden woes of bottom blossom end rot, news of the Grands, 9mm n 45s, retirement, reloading chores etc etc. A nice Duke's Mixture. Orrr like Forest was told......you never know what you're going to get. Kick back and don't let the panties sneak up on ya and knot.... ;) Nobody has an ax to grind that I've noticed. Tom out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts